bedding

col48

hi all
i am bedding a nesika k action single shot & a k action with h & s box mag.in to two MC Milan lazaroni stocks,they both have tubs recoil lugs fitted.

now for the question.when you have bedded the rifles do you mill out the tops of the pilers so they don't touch the action??? (i will be using aluminum flat top pilers)
and do you tape the sides and the back of the recoil lug.

it is a 243 single shot
and a 270 WSM mag action

thanks
Colin

most put tape on the sides, bottom, and FRONT of the recoil lug,but not the back.the back is what you want against the stock to transfer the recoil.

Rifles that Nesika bed mills the tops off would you like a photo oif one done

Col,
The whole idea of pillar bedding is for the action to contact the pillars.

The pillars provide a non compressable area of the bedding job to precisely torque the action to without crushing what would otherwise be part of the stock.

There are two schools of thought on the bedding of the recoil lug.
Some like to completely bed the recoil lug, leaving only clearance on the bottom of the lug and have the lug absorb all the recoil forces including the torquing of the action during firing.
This method does not need excessive tightening of the action scews but has a downside in that removal of the action from the bedding can be difficult.

By clearanceing the front, sides and bottom of the lug you are relying on the lug to absorb recoil but the action screws to control torgue, thats why it is reccommended to tighten the action screws to 45 to 60 lbs/in.
I prefer to use the complete bedding of the recoil lug my self but the choice is yours.

Ian.

I agree, do not mill off the tops of the pillars, defeats the purpose of putting them in in the first place pretty much.

I put two layers of black electrical tape on the sides and bottom of the lug and thats it. Nothing on the front or rear. Tape on the sides is plenty to give just enough room to pull the receiver and put it back in easily yet retain a very snug fit.

Kirby Allen(50)

hi thanks for the replies.
i think i will bed both the rifles as described above,i have read a great deal on bedding and it seems there is lots of different ways to skin this cat.
if for some strange reason things don't go to plan,then i can all ways mill the pilers back,(but you can't put them back in easy) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
i have been having very inconsistent groups with my rifles and i now know what is the problem,(fingers crossed)
today i dug out the bedding around the recoil lug.this let so much tension free that the barrel when placed back in the stock now touches the left side of the stock. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
so both rifles have now been relieved of all bedding and i am now in the process of re bedding them myself.
(as pear Darell Hollands AGI video)

if all goes well i will do some before and after groups.
thanks
Colin

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.