Bedding the talley's

Iclimb

Here are a few pics of today's project. When you bed your bases how much do you torque you base screws? I've done three rifles, it's starting to go pretty quick. I was surprised how much bedding material they took. Also I found another use for my action level. Keeps the action clear of debris during the process.

I do not torque down the base screws when bedding. The purpose of bedding is to remove stress from the receiver and base. By tightening the base screws to the recommended torque, you cure the epoxy with the base distorted. It seems to me that defeats the purpose of bedding.

I tighten the screws just enough to squeeze out excess epoxy. The best way I've found to do this is to rotate the screws until they resist turning, then loosen 1/4 turn, then repeat a few times until I've found the "bottom". I let the epoxy cure with the screws just tight enough to hold the base in place. If I had a torque meter on the driver, it would never register more than 5 in-lbs.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.