bedding question

300remum

hi all!
last winter i bedded my savage 16flhss to try and improve accuracy i only glass bedded the action and stopped at the barrel nut. i tought i'd try it like that first and if it didn't work, i'd bed the first 4 " of the barrel just in front of the barrel nut also.
well...i'm there. want to try this. the rifle will often shoot 3-4 shot in 3/4" and the other 1 or 2 are fliers that enlarge the group to1-1/4".some fliers i could call, but most of the timei could feel the shot was good and still get a flier, since it has a sporter barrel i've read that i'd be better serve with the first few inches bedded or even with a pressure point.
now after trying my remington free floated without success i re-did a pressure point and it's awesome. but this one has a solid laminated stock.with the flex in the savage stock, i'm afraid the POI might shift depending on how different pressure is put on the forearm (using bi-pod or off- hand shooting for example) i think bedding the first 4" of the barrel will make it less sensitive to that ( what do you think)
by the way it's the non-accustock model, and i wait between 2min and 7-8 min between shots depending on ouside temp.
so now, how do i do it?
do i put devcon in the barrel channel and tape the stock to the action like i did when bedding the action?
or do i screw the stock to the action, like i would when normally putting the rifle together, so that i'm sure the action is acually thight in is bedded place?

thank's

Did you float the tang (i.e. not bed the rear portion aft of the rear action screw) of the action on that Savage? If not, that may be where your problem lies. I don't think that now bedding the first 4 inches of the barrel will get you what you're looking for.

And, it's tough to bed the barrel and not have it a bit to high or too low compared to your action if you don't do them at the same time. Not impossible, just more difficult.

Also, I can't tell by your narrative if the Savage or the Rem has the laminated stock. If the Savage has a plastic stock, then what you've seen may be as good as it gets until you replace the stock.

Thank's for the link Dr Vette
I would like to keep the hinged floor plate on my rifle, so they won't fit.
But I found a factory take-off hs precision stock
From a right hand rifle. I'm thinking of buying it, fill the right side bolt slot with
Devcon, dremel one on the left and do a paint job on it.
What do you think?

Thank's for the link Dr Vette
I would like to keep the hinged floor plate on my rifle, so they won't fit.
But I found a factory take-off hs precision stock
From a right hand rifle. I'm thinking of buying it, fill the right side bolt slot with
Devcon, dremel one on the left and do a paint job on it.
What do you think?

Not a bad idea. I've seen photos and videos of gunsmiths doing similar things.
Obviously I'd bed it as well, and in fact I'd probably bed it at the same time you do the bolt fill.

If you know anyone who does woodworking or has a lathe they may have a better tool than a Dremel, too, for cutting the new bolt slot.

FYI, HS might repaint it for you afterward if you so desire. Or, believe it or not, Bell & Carlson would as well. They painted a stock for me this past spring and it turned out beautiful.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.