Bedding action only

elkaholic

This question is primarily for you gunsmiths: I have never done this and don't know whether it is a good idea or not? I have a BAT action and Greybull stock which will eventually get a Sendero contour Krieger barrel. Is there any reason why I could not bed the action before the barrel is installed providing I don't plan on bedding the first couple of inches of barrel? Question #2: Would you recommend bedding the first couple inches with this weight barrel or not? The only reason that comes to mind in bedding the action only without the barrel installed is that it might cause the barrel to be misaligned in the stock.......thanks/Rich

Last edited:
I'm not a gunsmith but i could honestly say it'd be imposible to get the correct alignment with the barrel channel without having the barrel actually in the channel with a bit of tape on the barrel for spacing. I believe once you actually put the barrel on, it would either be pointed to far forward, or left or right. just my .02
Nimrod

I'm not a gunsmith but i could honestly say it'd be imposible to get the correct alignment with the barrel channel without having the barrel actually in the channel with a bit of tape on the barrel for spacing. I believe once you actually put the barrel on, it would either be pointed to far forward, or left or right. just my .02
Nimrod

I suspect you are correct but I'm hoping there is some magic "gunsmith" answer to the contrary:D......Rich

I'm not a gunsmith ether, but I have done quite a bit of gunsmithing work under a gunsmith and my opinion would be that it would be a waste of time and material.

Even if you didn't want to bed your barrel getting proper alignment would be next to impossible without a barrel, and would most likely need to be cut out and redone once a barrel is put on. If you have a mock up barrel you can throw on it, it could be done, but you would most likely have to make some modifications once you get your acutal barrel.

I tend to bed my heavier barrels such as a #5 or heavier out about 2" depending on the chambering but never past the chamber. So with the barrel weight you stated, I would bed the back of the barrel.

It is not worth the risk. You need to have the barrel on the action to make sure it is in straight. You could try it without, but you would very likely end up grinding it all out only to redo it. It might work if you had an old barrel to use to keep things centered, but that is not without risk either. Better but not best......

If it was mine,

Its not complete yet, so then wait till it is prior to doing any bedding. I never do any work till all the pieces of a project are together or at least in my shop at the same time.

I thoroughly hate doing things twice.

But could you? Sure.

I think I had pretty much decided to wait before I even posted the ?? but thought I would look for some MAGIC answer that I wasn/t aware of:D......Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.