Bedding a pre 64

sandman264

Ive bedded lots of remingtons and savages but have had little experience with winchester. I usually set it up so there is no pressure on the magazine box but not sure if that is a good idea on the winchester. Do you guys tighten the middle screw or leave it a little loose. Any info would be appreciated.

Ive bedded lots of remingtons and savages but have had little experience with winchester. I usually set it up so there is no pressure on the magazine box but not sure if that is a good idea on the winchester. Do you guys tighten the middle screw or leave it a little loose. Any info would be appreciated.

I just did one of these last week. It was a bit tricky and took a while.

You might want to see what the guy on this WEB page has to say about Winchesters Trigger Springs|Trigger Pull|Pillar Bedding|Rifle Accuracy

I ended up with a 5/8" diameter front pillar, 1/2" diameter rear pillar. It is critical to have the front pillar long enough that it takes the compressive load of the action screw, not the magazine well metal that bridges from the bottom metal to the receiver.

I torqued the middle screw to 10 in-lbs. The front and rear screws to 60 in-lbs when I reasembled the rifle. I floated the barrel and left out the barrel screw. I'm going to cut it off and glue it in the hole for appearance purposes.

Fitch

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.