Bedded Stock-do I need to rework my pet loads now?

dougduey

I just put my Sako 75 300 WSM on a new McMillan stock(replacing the original walnut stock) that I had glass and pillar bedded. Had it at the range today and my sub moa pet load (0.34 moa) is now grouping around 1 moa. I assume that since the only thing that has changed was the stock, that I now will probably have to play with my loads to find the accuracy I had.
Any thoughts guys??

Thanks
Doug

I have only bedded rifles after load development a couple of times but never did I see a degradation of accuracy.

If you have bedded the stock all the way to the end of the forestock you may be experiencing barrel distortion from heat-up. I like a free floated barrel on any sporter barrel for this reason. If that is not the case you may have a pressure point somewhere on the action. If that is the cause of loss of accuracy I don't think altering your load will fix it. The only time I change or alter something on a firearm is when accuracy is suffering or it is a problem with functionality, as in if it ain't broke don't fix. I read postings from a lot of guys on forums bitching about flimsy Savage, Ruger, or whatever brand of factory stock is on a rifle but in the second breath are bragging about it's accuracy. Whatever......

Yes, I have a torque wrench and I was wondering if the gunsmith torqued the action screws too tight. McMillan told me that between 40-50 lbs was what they suggest for my Sako on their stock.
I'm also wondering if I need to "chase the lands" in this case. I worked up that great load 2 years ago and I have shot this rifle a lot and have worked up a bunch of different loads for it in the past year. I hadn't shot that magic load in some time, so things may have changed. I checked the measurement to the lands and it's now 0.011" longer.

Yes, I have a torque wrench and I was wondering if the gunsmith torqued the action screws too tight. McMillan told me that between 40-50 lbs was what they suggest for my Sako on their stock.
I'm also wondering if I need to "chase the lands" in this case. I worked up that great load 2 years ago and I have shot this rifle a lot and have worked up a bunch of different loads for it in the past year. I hadn't shot that magic load in some time, so things may have changed. I checked the measurement to the lands and it's now 0.011" longer.

In the 1969 movie"EasyRider"Dennis Hopper said it best.

"I'm getting bad vibes man, I'm getting bad vibes".

Try adjusting the bedding screws and see if you get rid of the "bad vibes".

And if you have ever ridden any distance on a hard tail chopper you will know what "bad vibes" are.

MTM4NDIzNzA1NzIxMTIwMDcw.jpg

"Screw around" :D before trying anything else. Do you have a torque wrench.

Savage Action Screw Torque Tuning

http://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/savage-action-screw-torque-tuning/

bigedp51,
Do you follow this torque protocol for all of your rifles? I have a 7mm STW is a HS Precision stock in which HS Precision suggests 65 lbs torque on the action screws (it's a Rem 700 action) and that's what I torqued them to. The gun is a tack driver, so I'm inclined not to mess with it. The article link you gave me, the guy says to set the front action screw(s) to 30 lbs and then work up the back action screws to a max of 40 lbs. That seems light on a synthetic stock

bigedp51,
Do you follow this torque protocol for all of your rifles? I have a 7mm STW is a HS Precision stock in which HS Precision suggests 65 lbs torque on the action screws (it's a Rem 700 action) and that's what I torqued them to. The gun is a tack driver, so I'm inclined not to mess with it. The article link you gave me, the guy says to set the front action screw(s) to 30 lbs and then work up the back action screws to a max of 40 lbs. That seems light on a synthetic stock

After I read the article I Googled the torque for my Remington 700 to get more info. I know changing the torque will change how the barrel vibrates. So changing the torque "might" help. I know it worked on my two Savage rifles and changing the torque at the range.

I also collected Enfield rifles and the action bedding and the front trigger guard screw had a very big effect on group size and accuracy. But this controlled how much up pressure at the fore end tip had.

Finally resolved my issue, and I want to thank everyone for their advice.
After thoroughly cleaning the barrel (it took me about a week of clean and soak, repeat), the groups tightened up after about 10 rounds down the tube. 4 rounds touching, so I was pleased. Then I noticed my front scope ring was moving a little bit from where it connected to the base. I took the scope off and found that both rings were loose. I little Loctite and cranked them down, remounted the scope and went shooting. One ragged hole!! Done!!
Now I can spend some time tunning loads for my new 6.5-284 Norma instead of messing with my WSM

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.