Beaver Hunting

Winchester 69

A friend of mine has a series of dams on his property, causing flooding and washouts. Does anyone have a good method for getting rid of these critters?

If you don't want to trap them then go out and find a good place to overlook the open pond and or dam and sit there from about an hour before dark till you can't see them anymore and shoot away. You could also break the **** during the day and they'll feel the current and come out to fix it that evening. I like this way the best cuz you can shoot them on the **** and retrieve them. One of my favorite things to shoot

I have a friend that owns an irrigated ranch in NW Colorado, and he has the same problem. He has standing orders that all beavers are to be shot on sight. When we go duck hunting in late September, we see them swimming in the rivers right before dark, near their dams. Every once and a while you will see them during the day.

Those things are hard to kill when they are in the water. I have hammered them with 3" #00 buckshot loads from 10 yards away, and they still flap around. Out of the water is another matter, and a .22 will work.

My grampa used to pop them at sunset with a 5mm Rem mag. They would usually disappear but be floating the next morning. Based on that, I would think a 17HMR would do the trick although a .223 would probably be more effective.

Assuming that you have checked local laws and they aren't protected in your area, make sure that you have the proper hunting license!

In some areas they can't be hunted, they have to be trapped. In others it's the opposite!

Sometimes varmint nuisance laws let you hunt them if they are causing damage, as you describe.

As others have pointed out, evenings tend to be best, unless you like really early mornings!!

Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.