.........bear story from wy please share yours....

phorwath makes a good point. Sometimes when a incident is recanted 3, 4 or more times it changes slightly each time so by the time you hear it...well you know.

+1 Sometimes hunting stories can grow like fishing stories :) I didn't get a chance to ask my preacher about the story but i will and if he says the same thing maybe that's what happend . Oh well I can continue on thinking that my .45 auto is the big gun :D

This has taught me to go all the way back to the source and start their .

Bigbuck

Oh well I can continue on thinking that my .45 auto is the big gun :D
Bigbuck

A friend of mine was a Police Officer for about 9 years. When he joined the force their standard weapon was the 45 Auto in Sig Sauer semi-autos. There were a lot of moose around here back in those days and part of his job was to respond to moose-auto collisions. We used to kill about 370 moose per year via moose/auto collisions, just on Alaska's Kenai Peninsula. It was fairly common for the *** to arrive at the scene of the accident and find an incapacitated moose. They'd have to finish them off. He'd shoot them in the head with their .45 ACPs. He said it was a struggle to kill them with head shots, and it would generally take several shots at point blank range to dispatch the moose. The 45 ACP rounds had a hard time penetrating the skull.

Then about 4 years into his career his police force switched over to .41 magnum S&W revolvers. BIG difference. One good shot to the skull of the moose was all it ever took. He felt much better finishing them with the .41 Mag because it was much more humane. Lot's of the moose kills occur in the hours of winter darkness and he never said if the .41 Mags were exiting their skull - I suspect they were. But with the .41 Mags it was always one shot - one kill.

A friend of mine was a Police Officer for about 9 years. When he joined the force their standard weapon was the 45 Auto in Sig Sauer semi-autos. There were a lot of moose around here back in those days and part of his job was to respond to moose-auto collisions. We used to kill about 370 moose per year via moose/auto collisions, just on Alaska's Kenai Peninsula. It was fairly common for the *** to arrive at the scene of the accident and find an incapacitated moose. They'd have to finish them off. He'd shoot them in the head with their .45 ACPs. He said it was a struggle to kill them with head shots, and it would generally take several shots at point blank range to dispatch the moose. The 45 ACP rounds had a hard time penetrating the skull.

Then about 4 years into his career his police force switched over to .41 magnum S&W revolvers. BIG difference. One good shot to the skull of the moose was all it ever took. He felt much better finishing them with the .41 Mag because it was much more humane. Lot's of the moose kills occur in the hours of winter darkness and he never said if the .41 Mags were exiting their skull - I suspect they were. But with the .41 Mags it was always one shot - one kill.

WOW

BigBuck

I get to hunt in some bear country, black bear and grizzly. Minimum carry weapon for me? .44 mag. That and a can of bear spray, of which I am more likely to use the spray first as it is going to cover more area than a quick-draw shot.

.40 S&W or .45 ACP? No way would I count on those to stop a bear. Sure, you could get lucky and make a kill shot with one, but I'd rather have the gun that Dirty Harry said would crack an engine block. :D

My 40 S&W is an auto so irregardless of caliber that rules it out IMHO. For black bear I'm comfortable with my 357 magnum revolver. For Grizzley I might go with my 357...it's tempting as that's what my draw and shoot from the hip motor skills are honed with...I'd be more confident with accurate and rapid shoot placement.

My 40 S&W is an auto so irregardless of caliber that rules it out IMHO. For black bear I'm comfortable with my 357 magnum revolver. For Grizzley I might go with my 357...it's tempting as that's what my draw and shoot from the hip motor skills are honed with...I'd be more confident with accurate and rapid shoot placement.

+1 I just don't like the ideah of BANG squeeze rotate BANG squeeze rotate BANG . I feel like 7 or 8 .45 holes in one nice wad should equal to atleast a few 44 holes :D

BigBuck

My pastor was an evangelist for 11 years before he took our church , he had a preacher friend from Wyoming that guides hunts on the side . Before I go into the short story I would like to say that I had recently bought a kimber 45 ACP I always thought that a 45 auto would be more than enough power to take care of a bear or worst case just empty the clip into it . Well the story I had been told the other day really got me to thinking so I figured I would share it with you fellas and maybe you could add some more stories to the post . My pastor said that his preacher friend (the guide) told him that they usually hunt in a group while hunting bears and this one time their was a police officer in the group that was carrying a 40 Cal. hand gun . They had a bear charge them as the bear approached the police officer he unloaded 9 rounds into the bear before it stoped the bear raised up and another hunter shot it right below the head with a 30-06 the bullet turned up and hit the bear in the brain killing it . This is the part of the story that got me to thinking . When they had skinned the bear it had 9 welts on it's hide none of the rounds had penetrated . So my big bad 45 doesn't seem so bad anymore:rolleyes: .
Question Do you think that the type of officer issued ammo caused this and was the reason for Non penetration? Or is the bears that tough ? Please leave your stories concerning bears if you have some and thanks for looking.

BigBuck

I would believe that the bullets penetrated the hide, but over expansion and or light for caliber bullets can most certainly cause under penetration with handguns.

That is why I prefer wide flat point hard cast bullets in my hand guns for hunting

00000009.jpg

The reference of some as to penetration in wood is not a reflection of pentration in flesh as the wood keeps the bullets from over expanding

I live and hunt here in the east so our bear hunting is done with hounds, from my experiences from yaking 10 bears and seeing dozens of others taken, IMO a black bear cannot take a good hit as well as a deer. we take them with anything from 243's on up. my bears have been taken with 7mm/08, 7mm STW, 348 win, and 458 socom, and 1 with a 375 JDJ Handgun, it was the only bear I've ever shot that even twitched after the report. here is the story of that hunt, it is the only time that I can recall that I was ever scared during a hunting situation.

I got the nickname Ridge Runner back during the days when we bear hunted and used CB radios for communications, mainly because I was younger could get around in the mountains well and when the dogs took a track I stayed with them, in my mind then it was my way of keeping the dogs out of trouble, stay with them and make sure the bear knew I was there, they wouldn't bay up to fight as quick when a human was in the mix.
So one day we found where a bear had been in a waterhole just before dawn, it was a smokin hot track, we "dumped the tailgates" every dog we had was on the track, they were packed up good and tight making a lot of noise and had began to move north just under the top of the mountain, I was bringin up the tail of the pack coming around the side and the radio cracked the gang said they were circleing around the moutain and would prepare to intercept the bear at the Judge Rye Road, which was 7miles north of my position,
I told them that that was the sensible thing to do cause it seemed every bear that started north made that road and treed in the thicket just beyond.
Not this bear, the dogs caught him 2 miles out and he had no choice but to head straight downhill off the mountain. In the middle of a laurel thicket choked with greenbriars, he had all he could take and hit a tree. I got to the tree, checked things out it was a 180# male bear all the dogs were there so things were fine, I got on the radio advised the gang of the situation and requested they bring in a shooter.
Well they were at least a 30 min. drive, then a 4 mile walk from my position so I just sat down about 30 yards from the tree and kept an eye on the 14 dogs that were there and waited for the guys to bring some youngster in to shoot the bear.
An hour into the wait all hell broke loose, the dogs had gotten into a massive fight and I knew that this situation could get nasty in a hurry, when dogs get in that state, they'll all jump on the loser, when he's dead they'll pick another one to vent they're frustrations on, you can loose alot of good dogs in a dog fight.
I waded into the fracus, yelling kicking and grabbing, I couldn't tie them I didn't have enough leads, so just as I got the fight broke up I heard a "woof" looked up and the bear was coming down in the middle of the dogs, I ran under the tree yelled the bear looked down at me and hesitated, the crosshairs of the 2X loopy found the bears head, I placed the reticle just under his left eye and squeezed the trigger on the SSK Handcannon, the bear dropped at the shot, but was immediately on his feet with a dog in his mouth. THIS WAS GETTING BAD! the dog escaped the bears jaws, the pack started baying, the bear doing what bears do was doing his best to face the pack, I had reloaded and was easing closer, I knew I couldn't broadside the bear with the 375, it would over-penetrate and chances were to great of hitting a dog, then I saw an opening to bring this matter to a close, I was an arms length away from the bear the dogs sensed that I was close so they got even braver, lunging out in the bears face as the bear swatted at them, I quickly took a step, grabbed the bear by the scruff of the neck, placed my knee on his back, as I did this I slid the muzzle domn along my leg, when the muzzle stopped firmly against the bears back I jerked the trigger, the bear went limp in my hands. I sat down, got my wits about me, radio'd the gang to bring leads a drag and bring me a darned beer! I then checked the dogs out, alot of them were a bloody mess that from the looks of them I wouldn't give a nickel for they're odds. miraculously it was the bears blood, that 235 gr bullet had broke the upper and lower jaws on opposite sides so the bear couldn't bite the dogs, the only injuries were sustained from the dog fight.
RR

The reference of some as to penetration in wood is not a reflection of pentration in flesh as the wood keeps the bullets from over expanding

I agree it is not a reflection of penetration in flesh, as in how far and type of wound channel-if that's what you mean or do you think you would have no penetration on bear skin with a 40 S&W that has no problem going through 3/4" cabinet grade plywood?

I agree it is not a reflection of penetration in flesh, as in how far and type of wound channel-if that's what you mean or do you think you would have no penetration on bear skin with a 40 S&W that has no problem going through 3/4" cabinet grade plywood?

I mean that a bullet that over expands in flesh will not be allowed to over expand in wood.

DANG Ridge Runner! Ive been accused of being a bit of an addrenelin junkie, and maybe a bit nutts. I even belived some of what folks said about me(some) but YOU WIN hands down! your crazy and nutts!:D. Awesome story!!!! Please dont do that again, as I like reading your posts and would like you to remain alive so I can read more. WOW and have you been waching too much NITRO CIRCUS? is the only other thing that comes to mind.

Recent Posts