Bear Rugs Already!

We put the rugs on the walls, they didn't seem like the kind of thing I wanted to walk on. I don't think they would last real long that way.

Here's mine on the wall in my loading/gun room, doggone thing takes up a fair amount of space, but I still like it:
IMG_3954.jpg

I shot mine with a Ruger Number One chambered in .375 H&H, at 306 yards. A single 260 gr Nosler Accubond pretty well flattened him. I load them modestly, at only 2620 fps mv, but they fly true and seem to hit hard.

My son shot his with a .30-06 M1917 that's been in our family since the 1940's. Dad sporterized it after his return home from WWII. I updated it about 10 years ago. It's a rough 'n tumble general purpose hunting rifle. My son shot his bear at about 150 yards, with a 165 gr Nosler Solid Base (an older Nosler bullet, occasionally put back into production). His bear took off to run, despite the .30 cal through the lungs, so I hit it with the .375 and another young hunter with us hit it with his 7mm Rem mag.

It turned out to be quite a hunt, all three of us tagged bears in two days of spot and stalk hunting. Here's a link to the story of the hunt last September: http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f88/spot-stalk-bear-60729/

Regards, Guy

Last edited:
That's awesome, Guy! The rug looks great. Got me itching for my Spring bear hunt. We're heading into Hell's Canyon the end of May. I'd certainly be happy with a bear the size of either of those!

Awesome! I just got a bear a couple of weeks ago and it's going to be awhile before I get my rug back. Can't wait.

Looks great. The black and brown are perfect. Got my black bear rug back in June. Put black with red trim and not very happy with the color scheme after seeing this one. Going for my second Maine bear in September and will use those colors instead. Wish I could attach my pic but can't do it from my phone.

I used black felt around my rug and am very happy with it. The price tag to make a rug was a bit shocking. Did you get the bear aged? My last one was 13-1/2 years old. The state of MN now makes us pull a tooth sample and send it in.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts