Bear in the bighorns

remelk

Does anyone have any suggestions on areas to hunt bears in the bighorns? I have Elk hunted lots up there and spent a lot of time camping/fourwheeling. My wife wants to bear hunt and i have no idea where to start to look. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I do a lot of bear hunting in the bighorns. I tried for several years to do the spot and stalk thing and it never worked out.. maybe I was looking in the wrong places but knowing now about bears (which is a lot more than back then) I still think I was looking in some good spots. Bears like to stay cool, have good cover, and eat lots without putting out a lot of effort. water relatively close...most of all the cover though. Bears dont like to feel vulnerable. You will see them on open slopes but never terribly far from good cover. My advice is find you a good place to set up a bait.. huge pain in the butt getting a spot all lined out but once its done its just a matter of getting bait in each year.

Thanks Mike.

I went up this weekend and found some good sign but never saw a bear. Lots of scat and holes dug out. I think they were coming out at night. Next year i might try the bait. Just not enough time this year.

Thanks for you help.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.