Bear Hunting in Maryland

Truc

I was reading here on LRH and people were talking about drawing their tags and realized that the MD Bear hunt drawing was yesterday. So I went online to look but no luck for me but............. My wife was drawn so I guess I'm going. We've been entering and building preference points for 7 yrs and now have our first bear hunt. Dawn will be shooting a 350 Rem Mag w/ muzzle brake shooting the 200 Hornady Sp for close range out to 200 yds and I will be carrying my 7 SAUM shooting the 180 Bergers for longer ranges and possibly my 356AE Winchester for real close range.
Now where to hunt? Anyone in Western Maryland have any private land they are willing to share or know of any landowners who are wanting to get rid of a Bear problems

If your wife is the one drawn, why will you be carrying your rifle? Is there another season open that would allow you to also have a firearm?

The way Maryland has it set up for hunting Black Bear, it's a two person hunt. I suppose to make it so more have a chance to hunt or for safety, either way both are allowed to hunt but only one bear between them. With only 380 hunters drawn out of over 2000 entries, we had between us 13 preference points. You would think they would open the season up for where we live along the Appalachian trail as we have lots of bears but closed season, so out to western MD we go. The other thing is you must remain within eyesight of each other at all times.
Of course I will be a gentleman and let her shoot first but if she misses..... Problem is two yrs ago she shot a deer at 200 yds in the neck with my then 358 Winchester. DRT

Ha, just saw this post.
I had four bears at 600 yards but were running and later my wife had a smaller one come out at 30 yards and she got a bad case of bear fever. Rifle went off before it was pointed at the bear.
Anyway Bear season opened up here in Frederick county last year. My wife, my niece and myself all drew tags. All we have to do is walk across the street and in the mountains

We had success this year while neither my wife or I got this bear, our friend did. I was in a ground blind because it had rained and my tree stand was wet. When he first saw the bear it was standing up sniffing my treestand.

Attachments

• IMG_0882.JPG
    IMG_0882.JPG
    188.5 KB · Views: 173
Why not buy a non res PA license with a bear tag?
Total cost about $140 which gives you a whole year of hunting.
Those bears don't worry much about state lines anyway. lol

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.