Bear firepower.

I read A post on Facebook that said muzzle brakes make hunting dangerous game more dangerous. My thoughts were from what I've seen, dangerous game hunting isn't really any different than hunting anything else until a bad shot is made for any number of reason. One which could be the shooter being afraid of a hard kicking rifle.

Curious if they said why.

Steve

Some pretty wild life experiences in this thread!
Thankfully I've never had to stop a charging bear. There is one bluff charge that continues to give me nightmares and in that situation I'm positive there's nothing that would've stopped the charge and killed him before I was dead too. In that instant, I would've felt undergunned with anything short of a m1 Abrams. Absolutely terrifying feeling that still plagues me with nightmares and causes me to wake up in a cold sweat occasionally.
Nothing feels big enough when they're running down on you.

To the OP, hoping your AK trip went well!

A defense situation vs a hunting situation. to the op. Get a 12ga and practice quick shooting both you and your wife. When I shot sporting clays I use to walk up to the high house 3 feet off station 1 facing the house. I would break 23 out of 25 from a low gun position. The low house would be 3steps off towards station 6 facing the house and break 21out of 25 before they got by me. This was just my practice for fast tight window shots. The reason isn't so much for score it is to prove to yourself you can hit a fast target solidly time after time. That is the only way your defensive firearm will do what you need it to do when your life is on the line. Practice putting the safety on before every shot Again you want and need to be quick if your safety is on to undo and fire accurately.
Think about this a MLB base stealer can cover the 90 feet in under 4 seconds. The bear can cover the same 90' in under 2 without the lead. And unlike humans it will not miss it's target

Hi to all.
Want to thank everyone for there thoughts and suggestions, all I can say is "Women ????! " so get the two 870's ready to go bought a few more slugs to practice with, she says I'm not shooting any thing different than what I'm used to ! So we took her rem.700 308, I loaded some 180 round nose for her, I took my blr 300 wsm with 220 round nose.
But all the bears were seen along the highway and in Denali,50 some bears total.
Was absolutely a marvelous expereriance, 12,500 miles later we got home with out much trouble to Colorado.
Sorry I was so late with this,haying, hunting season, holidays,broken arm,(wife forgot the obey part again ?) new grand baby, and just plan laziness on my part.
But seriously all comments much appreciated ,thank you all.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.