bear dens

Discussion in 'Bear Hunting' started by kyhareraiser, Sep 1, 2011.

1. kyhareraiser

kyhareraiser Active Member

can someone tell me what are signs of a bears den.. i found a heap of dirt that is prob. 4 to 5 monts old (i'm guessing and behind it is a large entrance below a rock cliff..all vegetation for about 50 yards has been eaten to the ground ,,,,,,,,just wonderin

2. nfhjr62

nfhjr62 Well-Known Member

Several years ago my father got a phone call from Gary Alt the Pa Game Comm. bear guy wanting to know if he and or family were going to deer hunt this year from his s cabin as there was a bear denning under it.
    Seems some one had borrowed his extension ladder and not closed the access door and so a bear found the open door and had twin cubs there he knew this as the bear had a radio collar on it and he had checked the bear two weeks ago and he would move it if we were going deer hunting that year, he moved the bear and twin cubs two days later.

3. winmag

winmag Well-Known Member

Look around for large trees nearby with deep claw mark scratches in them. If there's trees marked like that, then you may be onto something. However its pretty darn early for a bear to be near a den, so the grass being gone....? I dunno..... If it was 2-3 months from now, then oh ya.

Obviously something is using it, so be carefull. Maybe set up a trail cam.