Beam Scales or Digital ???

robbobsam

Hiya Guys,

I have just invested in a cheap set of digital scales as I am getting increasingly annoyed with the time it takes to measure out powder accurately. I currently use a set of Redding beam scales and a tumbler to get it cock on, but after every 5 or so measures I have to re-zero as the zero will have moved by 1/2 a tenth of a grain.

What sort of scales do you use and why?

How accurate and how good are digital scales ???

Again- Am I being over fussy !!!

I use and old RCBS powder measure to throw a light charge and then trickle up on an RCBS 10/10 beam scale.
It takes a little longer BUT I trust EVERY load and that is worth the extra time to me. I do this with ALL loads both match and hunting loads.
Dave

I also throw and trickle my loads. I use a Redding Match powder throw, RCBS 505 beam scale and a Redding trickler. I had a digital scale but I used to have to trickle them anyway so I sold it. My scale was a cheapy so that could have made a difference. I like to know my loads are spot-on.

robbobsam,
I started out with beam scales also and quickly tired of the time they take and the necessity of "aligning two lines". To me, beam scale accuracy depends on how good your eyes are and how well you can align the lines. That can add up to a lot of wasted time and life is short.
I use the RCBS ChargeMaster and it is a wonderful machine. Worth every penny IMO. It is not fool proof though, you still have to ensure the ceiling fans are off or in my case on low. When doing load development, I usually set mine for .1gn less than what I'm loading (i.e. 74.9gn when going for 75.0gn) and drop 1-4 "kernels" of powder to get it to roll over to the desired weight. Yes, I am anal. Once I have found the "Mother Load" I set it for the desired weight and go.
Still, even doing it this way, it seems to be faster than the beam scale. Any scale is only as accurate as the standards that are used to calibrate them. The little brass weights that are provided with most scales are not up to par in the weights and measures world. They are porous and absorb oils from human hands. We are required to use stainless steal weights for certifying scales and they are categorized into different levels of accuracy (i.e. Class I, II,III, F, etc.).
When it comes to electronics, you get what you pay for. Top name brands are not cheap but they are durable and work. I have used alot of them but have settled on the RCBS CM. It is not top of the line but it just plain works!

Johnny Kennedy
Georgia Scale Company
Service Manager

robbobsam,
me, beam scale accuracy depends on how good your eyes are and how well you can align the lines. That can add up to a lot of wasted time and life is short.

have you tried using a web cam? i hook a web cam up pointing dirrectly at the 2 lines on my beam scale. it does 2 things, one it eleminates the diffrent appearance you get from moving your head up and down, and to enlarges a 4x4 area to the size of my computer screen. it works really well for me

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.