Bdc or bullet drop compensator turrets ?

marty dobson

Guys which is more accurate the BDC type scope recticles that show dots that repersent yardage drops or the bullet drop turrets like kenton industries sale ? what can i expect with the kenton type turrets for accuracy lets say 500 to 1000 yards ? what kind of groups have you been shooting with each system ? thanks. marty

Keep in mind that those turrets are set up for a certain velocity, temperature, humidity, altitude, etc...

I understand the need to have a scope/weapon set up to a certain grain bullet and everything. And I understand how temperature, humidity, altitude. etc... effect a round but this makes it sound like you have to fire whatever weapon with a scope set up in this way only at that certain altitude, temperature, etc... and if you don't then your scope turrets will be completely off and this rifle will be no good. How do you cope with that? Or am I under the wrong impression? That seems extremely unideal in a set up, I mean maybe for target shooting it wouldn't matter but definitely for hunting that would be a huge issue. and even still for target shooting I would think that could cause problems quickly. Can someone maybe help explain this to a new guy a little better? I think I might be under the wrong impression.

THANK YOU!

No matter what scope, turret, or bdc you have you should always sight in before going into the field.

Yes you will need to either tailor your load to the turret/bdc, or have a turret made to your load.

If you go with a bdc reticle, then you might have to turn a few clicks at different ranges to be zero'd for that range and environmental conditions.

I would settle on the most accurate load with the smallest SD and have a turret built.

Or simply get a moa dot/line reticle and print out a small chart for each range for holdover and turret elevation/windage adjustment.

I have been shooting silhouettes for years and I have my zero's marked on my scopes. But I always check them before each match. Sometimes they need adjusting for environmental or light conditions, but I almost always come back to the original zero's before the match is over.

Confidence in your equipment is the most important thing in shooting accurately. If you dont trust something, your confidence will be defeated at every turn and you wont know what to expect. It takes a lot of practice and care.

Last edited:
Mill turrets combined with a Mill reticle or MOA turrets with a MOA reticle is by far the best way to go. Those systems work "perfectly" with any bullet's BC and velocity at any elevation.

Mill or MOA systems rule, BDC"S Drool

Get both, the reticules will be dead on at some yardage for your gun, easy to figure out. Once you know what the best one is, get a custom torrent that starts at that zero yardage. Say 4 or 5 hundred yards. I've got 4 Leupold varmint reticules, that are dead on, plus or minus 10 yards to 500 yards. Then you buy a custom torrent that starts at your 4 or 500 yard zero. So beyond 500 You dial your custom dial and shoot the 500 yard reticule. Gives you much shorter dials and allows you to dial out to 1000 yards. My 270 starts with a 400 yard zero and I can dial to 1000 yards. If I started at 200, where my main reticule is, I could only dial to 800 yards because you can only dial as far as they can put marks. On that note, go with the tallest torrents and the largest adjustments. My target torrents allow me to dial 3 full turns, but my .10 MOA clicks reduces how much travel I get in each of those turns. Ideally, tall torrents and .3 moa clicks. That is one think Huskemaw got right.

So, I don't dial until I reach the max yardage I have a good reticule for, but I can dial much further, using that last good reticule.

Hope I made that understandable. It works like a champ! I shoot 900 yards with my 270, 308 and 6.5X47Lapua (both of them)...

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.