BC questions

sharpshooter1

I have a question regarding Ballistic coefficient. What is the maximum achievable bc possible? From what I understand, bc is a ratio, but it seems that there should be a top end on the efficiency of the projectile. I already understand that a bullet with a bc of .703 is going to be traveling faster at 500 yards than a bullet with a bc of .350, when launched at the same velocity. Can anyone help me understand? Thanks, sharpshooter

Part of the trouble stems from the fact that ballistic coefficients aren't currently used in the shooting community quite as they were originally defined. It serves a purpose as it is used, but it has deviated from the fluid dynamics based definition.

As it is derived from sectional density and form factor, and sectional density can in theory be infinately high (taken to the extream, and you have a wire), there is no 'highest possible' b.c. built into b.c.'s definition. However, rifle bullets with b.c.'s much above one are on the edge of practicality.

If you want something more technical than Chuck's writeup, check out: http://www.exteriorballistics.com/ebexplained/5th/221.cfm

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts