BC Columbia Blacktail in November

Jason Elmore

Hey guys Ive gotta Blacktail hunt scheduled near the pemberton area of BC in the end of November. I know its going to be very cold and wet other than that I was wondering if you guys had any tips, special things I should pack, or general info for me. This will be my first trip to canada and first time chasing Blacktail. The Outfitter I'm going with is Pacific Bear Outfitters. Thanks for the info guys

Hey guys Ive gotta Blacktail hunt scheduled near the pemberton area of BC in the end of November. I know its going to be very cold and wet other than that I was wondering if you guys had any tips, special things I should pack, or general info for me. This will be my first trip to canada and first time chasing Blacktail. The Outfitter I'm going with is Pacific Bear Outfitters. Thanks for the info guys
Jason,

I don't hunt that area but I live in Ketchikan, Ak which is the first Alaskan city you come to up the BC coast. I checked out their website and it looks similar to our territory only we are in a coastal region being one of 1100 islands in the archipelago. We are very wet and mild temps with dense underbrush whipping in your face the whole time. Impossible to stay dry. We are hunting Sitka Blacktail which may differ in some ways. Blacktail seem to like standing still until the bitter end if spotted in open country. In the timber you will probably jump quite a few and some you never realize until you smell them. They are definitely forest deer. They really tend to move on the crappy windy rainy days but go nocturnal during good moonlit clear sky days. This may be the case for whitetail too??

being that you will be hunting inland you should be prepared for some chilly mornings. Blacktail hunting during the rut is a lot of fun because they are quite eager and not too bright. Usually the big obstacle here is clear nights where they are out all night and bedded all day or the wolves come through and blow the whole thing to hell.

You may have a chance to make a long shot but out here the distances on your mind are vertical not so much horizontal. Prepare for some uphill hiking and good luck.

Jason,

I don't hunt that area but I live in Ketchikan, Ak which is the first Alaskan city you come to up the BC coast. I checked out their website and it looks similar to our territory only we are in a coastal region being one of 1100 islands in the archipelago. We are very wet and mild temps with dense underbrush whipping in your face the whole time. Impossible to stay dry. We are hunting Sitka Blacktail which may differ in some ways. Blacktail seem to like standing still until the bitter end if spotted in open country. In the timber you will probably jump quite a few and some you never realize until you smell them. They are definitely forest deer. They really tend to move on the crappy windy rainy days but go nocturnal during good moonlit clear sky days. This may be the case for whitetail too??

being that you will be hunting inland you should be prepared for some chilly mornings. Blacktail hunting during the rut is a lot of fun because they are quite eager and not too bright. Usually the big obstacle here is clear nights where they are out all night and bedded all day or the wolves come through and blow the whole thing to hell.

You may have a chance to make a long shot but out here the distances on your mind are vertical not so much horizontal. Prepare for some uphill hiking and good luck.
Thanks for the info Tim!

Tim's info is super solid. Iv'e also hunted blacktails in Wetstern WA for many years and you'll find they will definitely hold tight in the brush. If I can add some advice, make certain that whether you get rain or not, be prepared for the wet, humid weather. From clothing, to scope covers to the muzzle cover, if you're in the socked in heavy drizzle weather unprepared, it'll spoil an opportunity quickly.

Yes getting wet is requisite. Get bundled up because the process is hiding behind a pine grunting and bleating. 20-40 minutes per set up. I would like to hunt that area myself