Basics I would need to start reloading

Cowhand75

I think I might want to start reloading, and I know nothing about it . I wil be loading for 223 and in future 308 . What Manuel's do you all recommend , and what equipment will I need . Nothing fancy just practical and easy to use.

Thanks
Brad

Press
Die's for the caliber. 2 or 3 dies in the set.
Powder scale.
Powder funnel.
cartridge boxes. I like the plastic ones to hold empty and loaded brass.
Tumbler or vibrator for cleaning cases.
case lube
Primer tool for press, might come with it.
Calipers

Options:
Hand held primer tool
Cartridge and bullet OAL guage used with your calipers
Case trimer
Deburring tool
Primer pocket uniformer
Flash hole uniformer
Concentricity guage
Cartridge holder blocks
Primer pocket cleaning tool

Manuals? Hmmm. I like the Nosler book, Hornady and Berger seem nice too. I have 3 manuals and my buddies buy others and we trade back and forth. If you like Nosler bullets get the Nosler book etc. They are all pretty good, just get the latest ones out. They test the new bullets and powder etc.

Oh man, I would get as much used as I could. I would check Midway. They have kits for 350-500 that get you rolling pretty well. But man, some of the dies alone are 100.00 each for the fancy shmacy stuff. I built my stuff up over the years.

Concentricity guage 100.00
RCBS 1500 scale 200
Dies 35-50
Vibrator 100.00?
so on and so on.

if you are getting into reloading i advise do as much reading and research as possible before you start loading live charges. As for the equipment goes, i guess it all depends your future intentions..... Start out with a kit and add to it as you go if you enjoy doing it. the lee kit have mixed reviews but they are cheap alternative to spending a ton of money on a hobby you may not like.... if the suppliers ever get stocked back up you can find the lee challenger kit for a little over 100 bucks and then you will need dies of choice, and add tools as you go. hope this helps

Thanks for any and all advice. When I do get set up will it be cheaper to reload or buy factory loads? Or is it more about accuracy and pride?

The savings part depends a lot on what you load. When I started a few years back I got a progressive for 223 and pistol and a single stage for rifle/precision. I have found I use the single stage WAY more often. Two reasons:

#1. When there is not ammo hysteria, loading fmj 223 or 9mm saves a little bit of $, and gives you better consistency. But, factoring in time and the fact that if I want to load a lot of something I generally don't need absolute precision, there is less value.

#2. For bolt actions, you can really tailor a load to a particular rifle. You can be extremely precise in powder loads and seating depths. Value wise, you can typically load high-end bullets for around the price of the cheap factory ammo, and for significant savings over high end factory ammo. This is especially true in the larger and less common calibers. I forget my exact math so don't call me out, but I figured I could load a box of 300WSM with Nosler ABs or Barnes TTSX in the low $20's, while a box of premium factory ammo is north of $50. Plus, mine are tailored to my exact rifle, from headspace to bullet depth. Pride and results!

Read as much as you can before getting started and check out product reviews from posters here and at Accurate Reloading. It is a great hobby and you can match your approach to your level of interest. Measure everything twice and load safe!

A Lee Loader costs about $30 and will do the job. You would also want a Lee Safety scale, another $30 or so. A primer pocket cleaner $5. A case mouth chamfer tool $5. Length trim tool $10.
I started out this way about a year ago for 7mm Rem Mag, and moved to a press, dies, etc. because I am also loading 204 Ruger. (No Lee Loader available)
This would get you started IMO.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.