Basic second focal plane reticle use

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by LewisH, Jan 10, 2009.

1. LewisH

LewisH Well-Known Member

This question is about the use of the reticle MAO marks on second focal plane scopes.

For use with drop charts, is it true that the MAO reticle marks on 2nd focal plane scopes are only valid at ONE specific power settings?...like 15X on a NXS 3.5-15X scope?

2. Eaglet

Eaglet Well-Known Member

Yup! you got that right!
    Let's say each mark is equal to one MOA on the 15x power setting, then when you set the power ring on 7.5 the distance between marks would be 2 MOA.

3. LewisH

LewisH Well-Known Member

Thanks Eaglet, that's what I thought.

I don't cotton to all that extra figuring. I just wanna laser the target, check the moa drop chart, adjust the power ring so the target "looks right" to me, move sight picture to the correct mao mark (without looking at the power ring setting or doing any arithmetic), and concentrate on let-off.

I guess to do that I need a first focal plane scope. Right??

4. Jon A

Jon A Well-Known Member

Yup. ;)

5. Tyler Kemp

Tyler Kemp SPONSOR

What I like about some SFP scopes is that if the scope is calibrated in the middle of the magnification you can have a more precise mil-dot when zoomed in. For example, my 6-24x scope is calibrated at 12x, so at 6x it's 2 mils between each dot, and at 24x it is only 1/2 mil between each dot, making holdover more precise if I am inclined to holdover instead of dial.

6. CS T

CS T Official LRH Sponsor

The reason shooter like SFP is the line integrity is the same at any power and scope makers can make the lines thinner in SFP.

Nightforce offer a great SFP scope and if you are looking for an MOA reticle the NPR1 is a great one to go with.

Mike @ CSGW