Base attachment questions.

gonehuntin

Hello, I'm a newbie and while I have read and learned a lot here, this is my first post. I know of only two companies that offer their bases with a angled hole and then have a corresponding angle on the head of the attachment screw. The theory being that this will enhance the ability of the base to resist moving once torqued down to the receiver. The theory makes intuitive sense to me, yet most manufacturers either don't offer this or don't advertise this. I have read how others may go to more drastic measures such as epoxy or pinning. An angled head and hole seems like a simple solution. Am I missing something? Are there others out there that offer this on their bases? Is it necessary or overkill? Thanks in advance.
gonehuntin

I use JB Weld.... just a THIN layer, like see through. USE the long setting, NOT quick set. Clean extra off with Acetone after you tighten screws. A Q-tip works great !!

This in essence, beds your bases to the action.

I have never had any problem doing this and had a Gunsmith show me how.... quite easy.

just my opinion and how I do my own stuff.

Several base makers use a "set" screw that kinda wedges the base in place and a couple make a base that has little extensions that fit down into the bolt opening. Is it realy needed ? most likly not like openg the base screw holes to 8-40 it probably doesen't do that much for saving the optics , if you drop you gun ahrd enout to shear off the base screws then the chances of the scope working are slim. I do open all my screw holes to 8-40 and I do bed all my bases to my reciever just in case.

[ QUOTE ]
Hello, I'm a newbie and while I have read and learned a lot here, this is my first post. I know of only two companies that offer their bases with a angled hole and then have a corresponding angle on the head of the attachment screw. The theory being that this will enhance the ability of the base to resist moving once torqued down to the receiver. The theory makes intuitive sense to me, yet most manufacturers either don't offer this or don't advertise this.

[/ QUOTE ] I'd go further . Not doing so is POOR engineering. Which do?

I also bed the bases with epoxy but for the purpose of a stress free attachment to the receiver, not additional shear resistance. Do you guys who bed attach the bases to the receiver without release agent? If so, do you grind relief into the bases and/or receiver for additional adhesion?

Chris, I have found only Weaver (cheap and low quality) and Ken Farrell to offer the feature of angled screw heads. Ken's product is IMO first rate and I would recommend to anyone. I currently own 2 of his bases.

Thanks again for the responses.

gonehuntin

I do grind a small cross hatch pattern in the bottom of the base to allow the bedding compound to be a little thicker/stronger and hold to the base better , I also use a very light coat of release agent on the action.

I bed the bases to make sure that their is as much contact with the action as possible I think that this adds a bit of strength to the setup , I also open the base holes up to 8-40 and use a weaver type screw and make sure that ALL screws are bearing the same load when torqued down , I feel that we must do everything possible to make sure our setup is as close to one piece as possible. Is the added strength realy needed ? I can't say for sure , I do feel that in most cases if your rig sees a traumatic even that would cause the scope base to shear off that your gonna have some very serious issues with your scope

JDJones, I agree with you on the force needed to shear off the screws, but what about just enough force to change zero? Bases that use screws with square shoulders can have quite a bit of side to side/front to back play. You said you use Weaver type screws so maybe you're using angled head screws? If so, that leads me back to the original question. Do angled head screws help keep the base from moving? Are there others that match the angle in the base? What about using angled screws in a square shouldered base? Just looking for other options and insight from others. Thanks again for your insight.

gonehuntin

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.