Base and Rings for Savage BTCSS

cheesehead

I recently ordered a new Savage model 12 BTCSS 22-250 and have been trying to figure out what base and rings I need/want for this, anyone have suggestions?

I have a Leupold VX3L 6.5x20 56mm that I want to put on it and from what I can tell from other posters I should be able to get by with the 30mm medium height rings. I have looked at the Burris XTR and Leupold Mark 4s, still haven't decided for sure.

The biggest question I have is on the base. I have seen many people that recommend the EGW picatinny bases but there are options of 0 MOA and 20 MOA, what is the difference and what should I go with on it? Should I be looking a other bases besides EGW? Also, I see there are 2 different versions for Savage: one is short action and the other is standard. What is the difference on these?

Sorry for the noob questions but could use some expert advice and opinions.

Thanks,

Tod

The model 12 is a short action. If it is a new production action, it will be a round rear action.

The 0 MOA base is flat in relation to the bore. The 20 MOA base is tilted down at the front. It lets the scope adjustment be centered when shooting at extended ranges.

Do you need it? Depends on the range you want to be shooting. The Leupold you listed has 75 MOA of travel. That will get you a long way even with the flat base. The 20 MOA will let you go even further, way beyond the effective range of the 22-250. Since the scope has a decent amount of travel, you should be able the zero at 100 yards with the 20 MOA base.

Rings are a subjective topic. My favorites are Burris Signatures, or Warne Maxima WD's if I need to swap scopes often. Other's have their favorites, but those two have worked well for me.

EGW bases are tough to beat for the price. Also take a look at the new Weaver Tactical bases.

Geargrinder, thank you very much for the insight!

As you said, everyone has their favorites and I think for the rings I will stay with the Leupold Mark 4s just because I have always had good luck with their rings.

The base, I am not as set on so I will keep looking. I did see a few others comment on the new Weaver tactical so I will do some more looking.

I ended up going with the 20 MOA EGW base but it is backordered from Optics Planet... ****! I guess that will give me time to make up a few different loads to try before I can actually shoot the new gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.