Base and rings for a savage rifle

hatfield954

I haven't recieved my rifle yet. I am trying to find out, what setup to use for the best performance. Is it better to use a one piece scope mount or a base, rail and rings setup?

I recently purchased a 111 7mm mag. It's a looooooong action and the leupold bases i purchased wouldn't mount the Nikon scope i purchased before the rifle. It would work but was too forward on the rifle. I ordered some EGW bases from Optics Planet for $29. They're aluminum but get good reviews. Not sure what rings to go with. Not the easiest rifle to scope. Good luck.

If you get a standard picatiney base (I prefer NF hardware) you can mount the scope any where you please. Based on the long actions of the savage, I would recomend that route. I also belive that it is more secure than the standard Leupy system.

Last edited:
Nightforce (NF) bases and rings are very strong and very precise. It's my first choice in mounting systems. Its pricey, but they havent failed me yet.

I have Farrell piccatinny rails and rings on my Model 12 LRPV and a Rem 700. They are very solid and good fit. The base is $84 and rings $140.

Last edited:
I noticed that NF is advertising a one piece base for Savage short action rifles. Has anyone had any experience with them on a model 12? Thanks

I second the Nightforce hardware. I recently purchased a brand new model 111 in 7mm Rem Mag as mentioned by the OP. I put the one-piece NF base on it with the ultralight rings and they fit PERFECTLY. Yes, they are expensive, but IMHO, they are worth it. One less thing to worry about once I go shooting, as I know that I have a superior mounting platform for my rifle.

I am sure I will have to use medium or high rings. The scope I am gonna put on that rifle is a 6x18x50mm. Would that setup you used for the 111 work on the model 12 I have coming?

I am sure I will have to use medium or high rings. The scope I am gonna put on that rifle is a 6x18x50mm. Would that setup you used for the 111 work on the model 12 I have coming?

Not sure. Maybe someone else can chime in on the model 12. As far as ring height goes, I have the 1.125" rings and I am using a 56mm objective with a 20 MOA base.

Thanks men, for all your suggestions and information. I went outside the box to try something even more different. I ordered a DNZ gamereaper one piece direct mount. I will post pictures and info on how the mounting works out.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts