Base and Ring recommendation

montana_native

I am sticking a 4.5-14X40 LR Leupold on my Post-64 Winchester 70. The scope has the 30mm tube. I was going to use the EGW one piece base (no MOA taper) with a set of the Burris XTR's. This will be a pack gun.

Is there a better setup than this for a similar price?

Thank you.

Not sure of the cost of what youre looking for. But for a pack rifle, I prefer 2 peice bases and NF UL rings. This is as light a mounting system you can get and still have pleanty of beef to hold it all together. These will cost you about 240 bucks complete and will save you weight for your "pack rifle".

Many here are afraid of 2 peice. Funny thing is that one peice bases need to be fitted to the action every bit as much as 2 peice bases.

I don't think that there is a better combo for the money than the EGW and XTR's.

I'd recommend lapping the rings. I have used it on my 300win. Now they are on my dads 25-06.

Why no taper?

I guess I thought I didn't need a tapered base because I don't anticipate shooting beyond 6-700 yards. It's a 7 Rem Mag. I don't know, maybe I should get the 20 MOA base. Same price.

I like all the bases I've tried over the years so can't say I'd pick one over another but as far as Rings go, the Burris Tac Xtremes are unbeatable for the price.

Shootinfool, I recently read about a guy on 6mmBR who uses that same combo. Will low TPS rings work with a 50 mm objective and the Farrell rail?

I would suggest the medium or the highs. I have a 50 that fits with the mediums but it also depends on the barrel contour. I think that the TPS rings are the best out there right now and you dont have to pay the high price of the badgers. Just my opinion though.

For a pack rifle you could always try the DNZ Game Reaper 1 piece, its alum, extremely light and super durable.

Midways sells them...

Heres a pic of them on my rifle...
dnzmount.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.