Barrle Length...

QuickLoad does this for me.

Mike, do you think this source is reliable? It was a very interesting read.

The longer this conversation went the more stuff kept coming up. I figured there had to be something out there that covered this. I guess I was lucky in finding it. I am going to keep researching, but I would like to believe that this data is solid and answers the original question.

Source forge offers a free download of Quickload, I am not sure what version or if it is even the full program. But, I am going to look at it. I am not a reloader and I had no idea these programs existed. Although I do see reloading in my future.

Last edited:
I think the math in the article is crude, but it could be useful as a rule of thumb.
I've used QL a long time, I trust it until proven otherwse, and it suggests basically the same gains and gain reductions.
You can keep nipping off velocity gains with barrel lengths well beyond practical, but there still remains gains..

Personally, I don't care about velocity.
All I care about is accuracy.
And if you go ridiculous too short, or too long, accuracy takes a hit.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.