barrel weight and accuracy problems

NZP,
This sound horribly familiar.

I had just "The best gunsmith in Australia" build me a fully trued Remington 700 in .338 Edge with a 30" Lilja barrel....etc. etc. blah, blah.

It was the worst rifle I have ever fired. Well to be truthfull tried to fire as it would not even fire!

Don't trust that smith! I found my chamber 0.100" too deep, and the bedding all stuffed up. It was enough to drive me to drink. After he recut the chamber I still had to fix up the bedding myself and play with the action hold down screw torque and do a few other things, before that rifle would shoot how a custom rifle should.

I put over 150 shots down that tube before it was right. Thats A$6 per shot.

Once again..........Don't trust that smith!

Let us know if it was a particular item that fixed it or if it seems that it was a combination of issues.

I have heard the term "best gunsmiith".. beware.

A 308 Savage 99 that was in my family in the 1960s was gone.
I bought it back from a guy who had it rebarrelled by "The best gunsmith in Western Washington".

Before firing it, I checked the headspace, and it had .035" too much on a factory replacement barrel.

Setting a Sav 99 barrel back .035" is a lot of trouble, with all those relief cuts.

Now it will shoot a 1.2" 5 shot group @ 50 yards with a 2.5X scope.

after i got the bolt to not touch the stock, i went looking for other problems. there was a big blob of epoxy right beside the piller so the floor plate would have been pivoting around on that, im not sure how id missed that befor or why it was there, but i ground it down so it wasnt interfering with anything.

once id done that, i realised that there was a pin, i think it went through the trigger housing, cant remember properly now, but it was touching the stock - acutally it had made a bit of an indent where it had been forced against the stock as the barreled action was screwed in place, I made some room for it and now everything in the bedding department looks alright

I now have the rifle sighted back in and now just waiting for favourable weather when im not working to test it out. heres hoping for 1/4MOA!

Excellent findings...may improve it's accuracy but, don't get disappointed if it doesn't because there may some other things to correct...who knows it could be a combination of 4,5,6 so on things. You've made a good start, stay with it and keep us posted. Hope the weather clears up for ya.

I worked up a load with VV n560 and 115gr DTACs and the best group it did was 1.3" 5shots at 200yards. i hadnt actually tried them befor so dont know if thats an improvement or not but thats a pretty good group out of this rifle.

ill give the 105vlds another go and I have some 105 A-maxs to try

thinking about getting it recrowned by someone else and get them to check it over

hey mate where in nz are you? and would you mind telling me who did the work. then i can make sure i dont go to them. um i think out of that rifle you should be getting more in the area of 1/2" at 200yrds. my mossberg atr100 .243 could do the same as what you are getting.
i hope you get it fixed and get $ back or get the smith to fix for free.
good luck mate

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.