Barrel Value?

theEMP

Hello everyone. I recently bought a used Savage 110 Tactical chambered in 7mm Rem with a bull barrel. I'm planing on re-barreling to a 300 win mag. My question is, does the factory Savage barrel have any value? If so how much? I'm trying to decided if it is worth selling to help fund the build or just keep. Any help would be very appreciated!

My question is why change it?

The 7mm RemMag can do virtually anything the .300 WinMag can do. They're so close in performance that it's almost not worth the money to swap from one to the other, if you have the other one, unless the barrel is completely shot out and trashed.

If the barrel is a true 1:9 twist, try loading up some Berger 180 VLD's or 180 Hybrids in a ladder test, and see how good you can get it to group, and how good you can tune that load in. A 7mm RM (or larger 7mm caliber) with the big 180's is a very formidable opponent. If you can find a good load for them, you should have no problems taking game at 1000 yards.

I have thought about that. The main reason for changing is because I'm already set up for the 300 win with dies and bullets. That and I have a love affair with the win mag. I probably will buy a box of 7mm ammo and see how it shoots before making my final decision on it.

I have thought about that. The main reason for changing is because I'm already set up for the 300 win with dies and bullets. That and I have a love affair with the win mag. I probably will buy a box of 7mm ammo and see how it shoots before making my final decision on it.
I wouldn't make a final decision based on any factory loads. Just my $0.02...

I mean, if it won't group a 160-168gr bullet better than 1.5" at 100 yards, I'd trash it. But if it's 1" or less groups, I'd consider tinkering with some handloads for it to see how good you can get it to shoot.

I think if you give the 7RM a chance you might learn the joys of the 7mm calibers. :D

Not to steer you away from the .300 WM, but if you already have 1 or more...Then why not diversify your collection? Why limit yourself to only 1 caliber, when we live in a great country that doesn't say we are limited?

Also, if you want to test some good quality factory ammo, these HSM with the 168 Berger VLD's is some good stuff from what I've been told.

HSM Trophy Gold Ammo 7mm Remington Mag 168 Grain Berger Hunting VLD

As to your question. Yes the barrel is worth something. I am sure that the right person would give you $75 to $100 for it. Midway list new Savage barrels between $135 and $140 depending on style.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Tomorrow i'm going to go and try it and see how it shoots. If it shoots good then I will buy some reloading supplies and then do a ladder test. If it doesn't shoot what would be a good barrel brand to switch to? I was thinking of Shilen. I want to do a prefit barrel for it so i can do as much of the work as possible. Am I missing a better barrel company or is it better just to buy a blank and have a smith chamber an install it?

Thanks for the replies everyone. Tomorrow i'm going to go and try it and see how it shoots. If it shoots good then I will buy some reloading supplies and then do a ladder test. If it doesn't shoot what would be a good barrel brand to switch to? I was thinking of Shilen. I want to do a prefit barrel for it so i can do as much of the work as possible. Am I missing a better barrel company or is it better just to buy a blank and have a smith chamber an install it?
I am not a Savage fan, so I don't own any. But from what I've been told, you can do it on your own...But if you've never really messed with it before, it'd be best to let a smith handle it so he can make sure the headspace is properly set.

Make sure you buy some good ammo like Nosler, Federal Premium, or HSM or something. Don't buy any cheap junk Remington ammo. I've never had Rem ammo shoot good for me.

Good luck.

If it doesn't shoot what would be a good barrel brand to switch to? I was thinking of Shilen. I want to do a prefit barrel for it so i can do as much of the work as possible. Am I missing a better barrel company or is it better just to buy a blank and have a smith chamber an install it?

I would checkout McGowen barrels. Get the prefit and install myself. I have a McGowen on a Savage 300 WSM and love it.

Welcome to the McGowen Precision Barrel Outlet

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts