barrel twist

xander

I am having a 338 ultra mag built on a Ruger #1 with a 28 in. bbl. I am going to use 200-210 grain bullets.Everyone says I should use a 1-10 twist.I did the Greenhill formula to calculate the twist rate for the bullets I'm planning to use and it comes to 1-12 or a tad slower.I won't be using any bullets over 225 grs. max.I would appreciate some suggestions for those of you that use a 338 UM,particularly those of you that use lighter bullets. thanks.

I don't have a 338 RUM but I do have a
338-06 Ai , it has a 1-12 twist and shoots the 200gr Nosler Ballistic tips and 210gr Nosler Partitions great.
My velocity is just over 2500fps out of a 22" barrel , I would think that the faster 338Rum would use maybe a 1-13 but why risk it ? Your not gonna realy gain any velocity by going to that much slower twist.

Ruger#1.
Ther Greenhill formular is not all that reliable, it overstabilizes by a considerable margin. You should use a constant of about 180 rather than the 150. I would use a 1-12" twist because of the higher velocity which the Greenhill formula does not address.
The faster the bullet the less twist you need.

Thanks for the input.I think I will go with the 1-12 twist.This rifle is intended as an open country rifle.I think the lighter bullets will suffice.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.