Barrel Twist

coachA

I know that all bullets have an optimal twist rate to stabilize it. Is it possible to cause a bullet to spin too fast?

Yes, you can spin one too fast that the jacket will separate and blow apart once it exits the muzzle, but it has to be to a very serious extreme. Not likely to happen with any standard cartridges (unless you have a defective bullet), but maybe some random obscure wildcats that are grossly overbore with super-light bullets.

I was blowing up 22 hornet bullets with a 220 Swift in ~1960. All you got was a puff of dust about 30 yds out. But even at a rather young age, probably too young to be handloading, I figured out what was going on and got some tougher bullets.

I plan to buy a new 7mm rem mag. I knew twist rate was important but I haven't ever heard if the was such thing as too fast. I was think of just going with a 1 in 8 twist with the new barrel. With this twist I should be able to shoot any bullet as long as long as its a quality bullet.

I plan to buy a new 7mm rem mag. I knew twist rate was important but I haven't ever heard if the was such thing as too fast. I was think of just going with a 1 in 8 twist with the new barrel. With this twist I should be able to shoot any bullet as long as long as its a quality bullet.

You can shoot anything in it, but IMO, it's a waste of a rifle to shoot anything less than a 168 in a 7mm RemMag. With that 1:8 twist, you can go all the way up to the new Berger 195 Elites.

You can shoot anything in it, but IMO, it's a waste of a rifle to shoot anything less than a 168 in a 7mm RemMag. With that 1:8 twist, you can go all the way up to the new Berger 195 Elites.

Shoot what the rifle likes... My 8" twist 7stw seems very happy (1/2 moa) with 140 nos. ab's... My 9' twist 7rum doesn't like mid weight bullets but shoots 175 hdy and 180 sierra to 1" @ 200yds... I'm still working with the 7stw and 175 eld-x but I honestly do not care at this point it I ever get a heavy to shoot from the rifle...

I honestly like the 195 elite hunters and will most likely work up a load with them. I am shooting the 162 ELD-X right now but haven't gotten to my final load yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.