Barrel throated for VLD bullets

Iron Worker

I'm having a rifle chambered for 7WSM I want to shoot Berger VLD bullets and Hornady A-Max bullets. What does it mean to throat the chamber for VLD bullets ? Is it necessary ? Its a 9" twist Brux 26" cut rifled bbl.

It mostly has to do with lead length and lead angle.

The lead is what is typically called free bore, or the area cut away for the bullet to rest in as it purtrudes from the case neck. The lead angle is the taper cut on the lands to engrave the bullet.

The lead angle of 1.5 degrees is typical for VLDs, the lead length is determined by bullet used, magazine length and choosen oal of your cartrige.

Send your smith a dummy (new brass)with the bullet(s) you plan to shoot.
If he's good he will give you what you want.

Sammi for a WSM will likly have a short throat as the factory cartriges and rifles are set up for short mag boxes in short actions.

My Gun Smith says his reamer is a standard SAMMI . So will that work with Berger VLD bullets ? Hornady A-Max ?

You can call Dave Kiff at PT&G with all the specs for your build and he will steer you in the right direction. If the SAAMI spec reamer won't fit your application there are several reamer rental places that may have what you need. Don't settle for less than what you truely want on a custom build. It will be well worth a few extra dollars to get exactly what you want. Much cheaper than the regret and second thoughts generated by saving a few bucks and settling on less.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.