Barrel thickness for .375 RUM

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by trout-n-salmon, Aug 8, 2011.

1. trout-n-salmon

trout-n-salmon Well-Known Member

I am building a .375 RUM with a 26" #4 sporter contour barrel. After looking at the muzzle thickness I am wondering is this barrel heavy enough? What is the safe barrel thickness at the "B Measurement" and the muzzle (C Measurement) for this caliber? A #4 contour is 1.200 at the shank (no issues there) and then tapers to .850 (B Measurement) and finally down to .650 at the muzzle (C measurement). This leaves .1375" barrel thickness at the muzzle. Is this enough?

2. rscott5028

rscott5028 Well-Known Member

#4 is about the smallest you'll find in a pre-fab blank which is a pretty good indicator that it's on the light side.

-- richard

3. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

If your going to brake it you need enough meat to thread the brake on, if your not braking it WOW, ouch!:D

4. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

That is very light IMO.

I would recomend a #6 contour(.750 ) because it adds less than 1 pound and has enough stiffness,
    but will also fit most sporter stocks.

I like #7s or 8s on my big bores.

Remember the larger bores lighten the barrel and all barrel makers use the 30 cal for average
    weight.(A # 5 in 375 should weigh no more than a #4 in 30 cal.

J E CUSTOM

5. Edd

Edd Well-Known Member

The #3 Weatherby contour is about the same as yours and they use it for a 378.

A Winchester factory 375 H&H is heavier, .950 at "B" and about 675-700 at 26".

If it was for me, I wouldn't want it any smaller than the Winchester factory barrel. I have a new 6mm barrel that is .900 at "B" and .650 at 28".

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  6. trout-n-salmon

trout-n-salmon Well-Known Member

thanks for the replies. I think I will go to the #6 contour. I would hate to put too light of barrel on the rifle and it have too much whip and heat up too quickly. I did not think about the additional "meat" required for the brake, but got to have a brake on that beast.

7. JOWEL

JOWEL Well-Known Member

Ive just finished pillar bedding a factory Remington .375RUM, its about #4 contour, no muzzlebreak, just the Remington pad on it, with a lil work and
    good grip and attitude you can control it without too much weight on the barrel.
    We got very good groups with nosler Accubonds on the 260 gr range.
    For a hunting rifle i think a #4 will do the works without too much additional
    weight, by the way I dont like breaks in any caliber.
    I have the parts for a .338 edge, will be a hunting rifle with a factory contour
    .338rum barrel just waiting for the .338e reamer.
    good luck with your big bore rifle.