Barrel Swapping

MontanaRifleman

How feasable would it be to swap barrels? For instance, if I had a 27" 300 mag set up for deer and elk huning and I wanted a 24" 375 to hunt bear in Alaska, could I swap barrels back and forth and maintain accuracy and POI? Would there be a way to reset the barrel consistantly?

I see some obvious advantages to this if it could work well, one being same trigger, same stock fit, same feel, same scope picture although might have to do a scope swap for Alaskan bear hunting.

It's certainly doable, and done regularly. You need to make sure your contour for each barrel will fit the stock you're using and clear your scope.

If you use an action that requires a shoulder on the barrel to lock against the recoil lug it will "reset" on its own, if you go with a Savage that locks with the barrel nut you'll want your own headspace guage to reset it accurately every time.

Chris

Montanarifleman it is most certainly doable. However my suggestion is to contact Mark Lammers at LOSOK custom arms. He is working on a switch barrel mauser action that should be up and ready to run in next few months. I have some of Marks work and it is nothing short of outstanding. If you would like his contact information you can either get it off his site or shoot me a message and I'll get it to you.

Swapping barrels is not a problem if you have a pinned recoil lug or an action with an intergral lug (like a surgeon). I've had swap barrels on Remington, Nesika, Barnard, and Surgeon (short action) rifles. The Rem, Nesika and Barnard all had pinned lugs, so it was not a problem to put it in the barrel vice, turn off the old barrel and turn and torque on the new on and take it to the range.

JeffVN

I have a Remington action setup for switch barrel use. To tell you the truth and not bad mouthing your project action I don't know if this could be done on a Ruger M77 action but if it could then you have to have the action squared and the barrels that you are going to use would have to set so you tighten the action to the same spot as you won't have to torque them down likw they do at the factories. A "NO- GO" gauge is a must and I have learned even if you have a recoil lug pinned it's best to get a recoil lug guide that holds it straight while you are tightening them up but with the Ruger you have that angle screw to deal with also.
Good luck in your build.You also should bed your action so it goes back into the stock the same way everytime you change barrels.

gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.