Barrel: stainless or ???

Okay, that explains alot. Thanks. But that makes me curious once again so I have yet another question. Why does someone not just cut rifle the first half or so of the passes through a barrel and then button rifle the last half or so of the passes? According to my train of thought, wouldn't this sart out the lands while removing some of the metal, thereby incuring less stress when followed by the button rifling? Yet at the same time, wouldn't the button strengthen the lands as it pressed against them? Or is there a barrel maker that allready do this? Or is it just too complicated/ineffeciant to do? Sorry for rambling on, but I am new to all of this and am just trying to figure it all out. Thanks again.

Jerry

I am not sure I am understanding the question correctly... Are you asking why not partially cut rifle then finsh with button?

Basically, if you were to do this, you've wasted the effort on the cutting and may as well button rifle from the getgo, You'll end up with a better product and much less waste of time and energy.

Bear in mind that steel is not porous in the traditional sense of the word. That is, it's not sponge like, and it cannot be compressed without rediculous amounts of pressure from a 360* 3 dimensional perspective. One of the first tenets a bladesmith learns is that STEEL MUST FLOW. Put it in a press and ytou won't compress it one iota, you'll flatten or break it. Push or pull a button through it, and the outside diameter will change as the steel flows from around the button. Button rifling is more of an ironing process than a compression one.

Yes, that is what I meant. Thanks for clarifying that. I am in no way a metalurgist, nor do I know much of anything about that subject. It's just that that thought popped up in my head and seemed to make sense to me, that's all. Thanks again.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.