Barrel Plugs????

HeskethPritchard

Not sure if this is the right location for this but here goes:

I have heard of people using barrel plugs to seal the end of the barrel before pouring in their copper removing fluids etc and leaving them overnight.

Does anyone use barrel plugs when soaking their barrels with cleaner overnight? If so where do you get them? Are they any good?

I will be on an enternity of Honey Do's if the fluid leaks onto the carpet and ruins it.

Thanks guys

If you're talking black powder then yep ya want to plug the bottom end, cause when ya pee in the other end and set it in the corner over night at it leaks I don't think you'll have any honeydoes to worry about ever again.:D:D

Realistically i'd think that using a bore full of Wipeout, 50BMG, Montana or Warthog would be a waste.

Unless the barrel is rougher than a cobb only a couple of patches of the above products do the job.

Plus you don't need a funnel or a plug and don't have to worry about the volume difference between the bore and the bladder.:D

Roy

Many thanks and your so right, she'd kill me if that happened.

I have never seen them only heard about them, my gunsmith plugs the barrel and tips in the fluid on all the rifles before he works on them and just thought there might be something in it but your reasoning makes sense so I'll forget all about it.

Thanks again

They are called "Chamber plugs" and MidwayUSA and Sinclair Int sells them

I have them in all my chamber sizes and use them after a really long day at the range.

An overnight soak makes cleaning easy and fast.

I keep a bottle of bore solvent for soaking over night, and pour it back in the bottle after it has stood over night.

Thanks Catshooter, you sure they don't leak?

The reason I am pressing is that UK firearms law is very stringent and if I am to do this they will have to be soaking in the bedroom and my honey made me lay a cream carpet!!!!

Can you imagine the noise the next morning if she woke to find a dark patch on that!!

Thanks

Thanks Catshooter, you sure they don't leak?

The reason I am pressing is that UK firearms law is very stringent and if I am to do this they will have to be soaking in the bedroom and my honey made me lay a cream carpet!!!!

Can you imagine the noise the next morning if she woke to find a dark patch on that!!

Thanks

Yup... I am sure they don't leak.

They have a rubber "O" ring on them, just in front of the extractor grove.

Just wet the "O" ring with a little oil or bore cleaner, and drop it in the chamber and close the bolt (or block, whatever). If you have a claw feed like a Mauser, or M-70, just put the plug in the bolt face and close the bolt. The "O" ring keeps it from leaking.

But do have a rag under it when you empty it.

Would you believe it they have all the sizes I need with the exception of a 6.5 (which is doing most of my work right now) does anyone know if they are interchangeable? I noticed on the Midway website they group certain calibres together does this mean one size fits all when they group them together like that?

Would you believe it they have all the sizes I need with the exception of a 6.5 (which is doing most of my work right now)

Which 6.5 - there use to be one, now there are dozens ;)

"... does anyone know if they are interchangeable? I noticed on the Midway website they group certain calibres together does this mean one size fits all when they group them together like that?

Yes... for example, the 358 Win, 308, 243 are all the same case and shoulder length. All the Belted mags bases on the H&H case are the same. The 25-06, 270 ,and 30-06 are the same, the 22-250 and the 250 savage are the same

It has to do with both the case head diameter, and the shoulder position... for example, even though the 222, 222 Mag, and the 223 family has the same body diameter, the shoulders are in different positions, so you need a separate one for each caliber.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.