Barrel or stock.....

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by petenz, Feb 13, 2009.

1. petenz

petenz Well-Known Member

Earlier this week I placed an order for a 6.5mm barrel to replace the .243 one on my Sako 75, I'm making it a 6.5x47 Lapua for a bit more long range performance:cool:

I'm a student so I don't have heaps of money, but I'll have enough left over after that to either:

1) get a mcmillan 'sako 75' stock to replace the factory sako synthetic (I love the shape of it, but it's not as stiff as it could be and it's a bit tatty from hard use)

or

2) rebarrel my remmy .223 with a proper twist rate (1:8) instead of the rubbish 1:12 it came with from factory

I can't decide which to do... help!!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  2. Kevin Cram

Kevin Cram <b>SPONSOR</b>

I would get the stock and have your Sako be a complete custom. Do the Remington at a later date. One project at a time if your limited on funds.

3. mike33

mike33 Well-Known Member

Why do you say 223 , 12 twist is rubbish? I have a older model 78 sportsman with 12 twist with 50 grain hornady sp you would be a long time skinning all the deer i killed with it on 1 shot kills.
    Mike

4. petenz

petenz Well-Known Member

The factory barrel is rubbish. It shoots ok but it's got visible machining marks in the bore and fouls rapidly.

I want a 1:8 so I can shoot heavy bullets (either a locally made 69gr RBT HP with a bc of .4 ish or maybe the 75gr amax) for varmints/targets

5. mike33

mike33 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that. How many rounds have you put through it. Maybe the factory would do something about the bore. As far as fouling that can happen, just clean with in 12 shots or so. I have had such great luck with mine. I have actually shot 3 shot groups at 100 yards in the 2's. Factory rifle i pillar bedded my self and worked trigger. I have no experience with any thing larger than the 50 grain figuring its a 3-400 yard gun. so the bigger bullets would maybe work better in the 22-250, swift. cheetah, etc.

Mike