Barrel Modification

Inukshuk

Inukjuak, Canadian Eastern Arctic 59 parallel
I've been doing a bit of research on heavey barrels and Know it's used a lot for varmint and tactical and now am wondering if it would be worth it for me to modify my set-up.
I've got a Tikka Hunter 30-06 that I've had for 15 years and just added a Harris Bipod with an IOR Tactical 4-14x50mm illum. I was thinking of changing the barrel for a 26" heavey barrel"fluted or not" and mussel Brake. Would this idea really be worth it or just stay with my set-up?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

You never mentioned what the rifle is used for. Based on the fact that you have been shooting the same set-up for 15 years I'll assume that it is used for occasional hunting.

IMO, there really isn't any advantage to putting a 26" barrel on a rifle that is chambered in 30-06. You aren't burning enough powder to warrant the extra length.

If you are carrying the rifle and using it for hunting at moderate distances I can not see why you would consider a heavy barrel with or without fluting. The 06 works great with a standard 22" barrel in an ordinary (sporter) #3 contour.

Big, fat, heavy barrels are not always the best solution. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif If you are considering improvements; I'd look to blueprint the action and add a custom barrel with standard dimensions. A bedding job may also improve accuracy.

VH

Varmint Hunter

I hunt for caribou, fox, seal, Geese, duck, ptarmigan and maybe Polar Bear in the futur. 85% of my meat is country "wild". I shoot from 100- 700 yards and maybe farther now with the new scope "Time will tell". I carry it on my atv, Jeep, snowmobile, and freighter canoe. I do some walking and stalking at times, but try to limit that when possible. Now with the new scope it should help a lot. I used to have a VX-III 2.5-8x36mm.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.