Barrel Life In A .243 rifle.

robbobsam

Hiya Guys,

I often read threads on here and people mention barrel life in relation to bullet speed.

I have a .243 with a 1 in 10 barrel twist and I shoot Norma ammunition with a 75grain Hornady ballistic tip most times and the ammunition velocity is about 3200ft/sec.

What sort of barrel life should I expect from it in terms of rounds through it.

Also what bullet velocity would you consider to be too fast and damaging to the barrel due to the excessive speed?

Sorry for the noobie questions, I'm learning.

Hiya Guys,

I often read threads on here and people mention barrel life in relation to bullet speed.

I have a .243 with a 1 in 10 barrel twist and I shoot Norma ammunition with a 75grain Hornady ballistic tip most times and the ammunition velocity is about 3200ft/sec.

Also what bullet velocity would you consider to be too fast and damaging to the barrel due to the excessive speed?

don't know what type/brand rifle you have, but Under "normal" conditions, the
bbl should last a life time with proper care and cleaning.

velocity/bbl wear is proportionate, but just how fast and how long bbl will last is impossible to extimate

Hiya Guys,

With good cleaning practices it should shoot well to 4 or 5000 rounds (More than most hunters
will ever shoot).

Velocity is not the only thing that causes barrel wear. It is a combination of velocity and powder
charge. Example; A 308 with a velocity of 3000 ft/sec will last a long time but a over bored
.308 that uses 2 to 3 times the powder will erode the barrel in 1500 to 2500 rounds even at
3000 ft/sec.

Some powders are also more erosive than others. and some barrels wear faster than others.

With the rifle you have don't worry about barrel ware, and if the rifle starts to shoot poorly
just re bed and give it a thorough cleaning and you will be surprised how well it will shoot
again.
J E CUSTOM

I agree with everything JE mentioned. I wouldn't worry about burning the barrel up and even if waaaaay down the road you did...barrels aren't that expensive. The only thing I'd add IMHO is don't overheat the barrel. I see guys at the range just cranking rounds off and then comment about how the barrels as hot as an iron and think it's macho or something.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.