20" or 24" barrel?

• 20"

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • 24"

Votes: 27 90.0%

• Total voters

BenY 2013

Ok so I hate to beat a dead horse to death...but I'm gonna do it anyways:D

So I have been trying to figure out what length barrel to put on my new .308 build 24" or 20". I am almost set on a 20" but was just curious what you guys would do?

Here is the 20" Tactical Barrel Savage 110 Series Small Shank 308 Winchester Factory Varmint Contour 1 10 Twist 20 Matte 5/8-24 Threaded Muzzle

Here is the 24" E. R. Shaw Barrel Kit Savage 110 Series Small Shank 308 Winchester Varmint Contour 1 10 Twist 24 SS

Now I know alot of you guys would probably never buy a cheaper barrel like this but I can't afford to buy a hart, mcgowen or any high dollar barrels....sure wish I could:rolleyes: but this is a budget build!
So after reading the reviews on the 2 barrels which would you go with? The 20" has better reviews but is just 20" and I do see that I would be losing some velocity with that length. Thanks a bunch!!!

Ok so I hate to beat a dead horse to death...but I'm gonna do it anyways:D

So I have been trying to figure out what length barrel to put on my new .308 build 24" or 20". I am almost set on a 20" but was just curious what you guys would do?

Here is the 20" Tactical Barrel Savage 110 Series Small Shank 308 Winchester Factory Varmint Contour 1 10 Twist 20 Matte 5/8-24 Threaded Muzzle

Here is the 24" E. R. Shaw Barrel Kit Savage 110 Series Small Shank 308 Winchester Varmint Contour 1 10 Twist 24 SS

Now I know alot of you guys would probably never buy a cheaper barrel like this but I can't afford to buy a hart, mcgowen or any high dollar barrels....sure wish I could:rolleyes: but this is a budget build!
So after reading the reviews on the 2 barrels which would you go with? The 20" has better reviews but is just 20" and I do see that I would be losing some velocity with that length. Thanks a bunch!!!

What are you going to use the rifle for? If you are looking for quick in the timber type shooting gun then the 20" makes sense, but if you want to go long with it, the 24" wins hands down.

This gun will never be in the deep woods, mostly open fields! I would go 24" without question but the reviews of the 24" just have me a little scared...just wondering what you guys would do?

The barrels are from the same manufacture and the same caliber. The same person probably cuts all the chambers. They all said the barrels shot good, some didn't care for the chamber finish. I would go with the 24", but before you do, maybe do some more research on who makes them. Try "savageshooters.com", maybe some better ideas over there. Maybe post in equipment decisions or gunsmithing?

What about a 26"? Gun Shack will be doing a ER Shaw group buy on 30 caliber barrels next week. Keep an eye out as they will be $158 for SS Varmint Contour:

Savage Barrels

a generic .308 will never use all the barrel a 26" will give you. A 24" yes, but a 22" will be just about as good. I'd go with a #5 contour at 22" long. You'll get a stiffer barrel than the samething in 24" or 26" with less harmonic problems making your groups a little more consistent.

As for barrels, I'd order in one from Sharp Shooter or Pacnor in .308 National Match and be done with it. They are better barrels than the Shaws and some of the others out there.
gary

I went ahead and bought the 24" and just the other day shot a group the size of a quarter. I'm certain it is capable of smaller groups though!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.