Barrel length of 7mm RSAUM?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by KPK, Mar 16, 2011.

1. KPK

KPK Well-Known Member

What's you guys thoughts on this for a lighter hunting rig? 24" be ok?

2. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

24'' is a good barrel length for a carry rifle in 7mm SAUM and will ring out most of the velocity
    potential.

In a short action it also has good balance.

J E CUSTOM

3. KPK

KPK Well-Known Member

Thanks!

Would you opt for a lighter barrel with added length over a heavier barrel and shorter length? I've been using a 300 rum with 26" barrel plus brake and it's not terrible. I want to run the long 180g berger hybrids in it (which seem to be working good in my 7mm saum Sendero, as far as feeding).

Even a 28" wouldn't be too terrible, but 24" would be nice for the mountains...

4. 436

436 Well-Known Member

Lighter barrel in 26" would work great in the 7mm RSAUM if the extra 2 inches of barrel is a problem, then stay on 24 " inch idea. Either way it's a winner.

5. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

I allways go for the heaviest I can use in the length that I need (22'' barrel I go with a hunter
    bench rest taper, 24'' barrel I like a #5 or 6 contour and for the longer barrels I go with a #7 or
    #8 contour for strength. Thin/light barrels can be troublesome, so I use the heaver tapers and
    contours. (Of course this is just my preference).

I have barreled a lot of the Saums and WSMs and 24'' to 25" seems to be perfect all round.

J E CUSTOM

6. TOM H

TOM H Well-Known Member

At 69 I'm still able to pack my rifles and get up around timberline elk hunting. So looking at building with a heavier contour shorter barrel vs lighter barrel but longer both rifles same weight I'll take the longer barrel. I just like the balance with a longer barrel and most of my deer/elk rifles total weight around 9lbs + -.

I've never been in a hurry shooting at the range so the lighter contour barrels has never bother my shooting but I understand that could be for some shooters.

Well good luck.

7. KPK

KPK Well-Known Member

Thanks for the help guys. I think the longer/thinner barrel would probably be better. I don't want to sell myself short on velocity.

How much heavier would a medium palma be over like a #5, #6, or light palma be?

This will be used for target shooting as well as hunting. I'm going for something like a 10-11lb rig.