Barrel Length? How long is too Long?

Jeebes

Im relatively new to long range hunting and shooting. Life long hunter thought. Im building a 300 WSM on a stiller predator short action.

Is a 30 inch barrel too long? What is the optimal barrel length?

I think that 30" may be a bit extreme with a WSM, remember you need to be able to carry it around to be able to use it! I would opt for a 24-26" max length for the capacity of the WSM case.

Im relatively new to long range hunting and shooting. Life long hunter thought. Im building a 300 WSM on a stiller predator short action.

Is a 30 inch barrel too long? What is the optimal barrel length?

I have a general rule that works to get the best all round performance of most cartriges that
goes like this.

Case capacity = Up to 50 grains of powder =22'' to 24'' barrels.
Up to 75 grains of powder =24'' to 26'' barrels.
Up to 100 grains of powder = 26'' to 28'' barrels.
And over 100 grains of powder 28'' +.

Your 300 WSM will fall in the 24'' to 26'' bracket

These barrel lengths will get most of the velocity that the case can produce.
Add a few inches more you may get more velocity but the percentage will not be as good per inch.

Where the largest bullets available are used, 2 more inches will help with huge ammounts of slow
burning powder.

Dan Lilja of Lilja barrels did a barrel length test and started with a 44" barrel and cut 2'' at a time,
It is a good read.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.