Barrel Engraving

Stugotz

Question for the 'Smiths out there. What type of equipment is required for the lettering you are doing on barrels. Wondering what type of investment it would take to "move up" from a set of number and letter stamps.

Most engraving is done with a diamond or carbide cutter, can be done on a mill with a 5th axis or a plate engraver.
I was going to get a used one, but even then the cost was
high enough that it is cheaper to have it done. All my actions are engraved with a CNC milling machine. The biggest part of having a bbl engraved by like a trophy shop is them not being able to hold the bbl in their machines. You need a special vise or holding set up. Electric engravers do the best work, simple scratch type leaves a faint outline. Find someone who cuts name plates, the plastic ones and see if they can hold your barrels, then they need a carbide cutting tip, the results are very nice.

Dave

stugotz,
I am using a Tag CNC 4 axis mill. The reason for the 4th axis is so you can rotate your barrel instead of using the "Y" axis so in all reality you only use 3 axis when engraving on a shaft. Your "X","Z" & "A" and on a flat surface you use your "X", "Y" & "Z" to use all 4 axis you would be engraveing on a cylindar which merges into a square /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
but believe me that gets pretty deep. If you are interested I can get you some pictures of my entire set up with the modifications I made. CNC sure is fun to use and is awesome to watch but it sometimes can make you want to pull your hair out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
let me know if you are interested and I will get some pixs and info within the next week.
308nate

Many shops have a pantograph. These are the machines used in trophy shops. The machines are fairly expensive and require a set of brass "characters" or, letter plates, in the font that you desire.
Other shops use an electro-acid etch system that, with a little practice, produces very nice, deep engraving.

Thanks for the info guys. I don't have a CNC mill, so that option's out, but does anyone have any source information on the electro-acid etch machines. I found some info on the web, but so far, no pricing info.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.