barrel decision, narrowed down

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by emn83, May 29, 2012.

1. emn83

emn83 Well-Known Member

So, I am saving up to buy a new barrel for my Savage 11 .308. I decided to go with a 26in heavy sporter barrel, because, even though it is a little long and heavy for carrying around the MN woods, I'll be in a stand most of the time. I want to be able to get a little more velocity out of my .308 handloads. I decided to do the rebarrel myself, because I want to get the experience of doing that.

I narrowed my search down to 3 barrel brands, and 2 sources and want some opinions. First I am looking at Shilen and Brux barrels, and getting the barrel through Sin Arms. The other option is to get a Benchmark Barrel direct from Benchmark. Prices are all fairly close with the Shilen quoted on the low end and the Benchmark and Brux being quoted very similarly.

I've done a bunch of research on the barrels and am at a point where I am totally stuck because all 3 options seem very good. Thoughts?

2. trebark

trebark Well-Known Member

Shilen, Brux and Benchmark - all good barrel makers. You don't go wrong with any of them. So make the decision based on something other than the maker....$$, delivery time, differences in preferred contour etc. Then make the decision and don't look back.

3. emn83

emn83 Well-Known Member

Thanks, I think it will probably end up being based on delivery time, as I was told by both that the profile would be no problem, and the money difference is not that great, on the higher end. The Shilen starts a bunch lower than the other 2, which are within like $30 quoted price

4. vegas steve

vegas steve Well-Known Member

all great barrels,you can't go wrong with any of them. i would reconsider going with a heavy sporter contour though. i'd stay with at least a factory varmint contour. to me nothing feels as good as a bolt gun with a stout barrel. sporter tubes just don't have that feel.

5. emn83

emn83 Well-Known Member

My stock can accommodate up tp a .750 muzzle so I'll probably try to go with that as a sporter contour, both places said that isn't a problem. Main reason I'm going with that is so I don't have to deal with modifying my stock as much, and I like the look of a sporter, even if it isn't very pronounced

6. yotehunter243

yotehunter243 Well-Known Member

I have had Shilen, and got a rifle from benchmark in the mail as I type this. I dont think you will go wrong with any of them

7. emn83

emn83 Well-Known Member

something just made my decision a little harder. I've been Emailing back and forth with Stockade, since they are making a Stock for me. Kevin Rayhill gave me a quote on rebarreling my rifle that rivals the price Benchmark gave me for just the barrel, Kevin would be using one of their barrels. I Emailed him back asking how long his turn around is on that. So, I guess my question is, despite my wanting to try rebarreling myself, would having Kevin rebarrel the rifle be something I should consider?

8. trebark

trebark Well-Known Member

Although I have never done it, I am told that rebarreling a Savage is 'easy'. You need a barrel nut wrench and go-no-go gauge.

9. emn83

emn83 Well-Known Member

yeah, That's what I read too, barrel nut wrench, action wrench and a go gauge and it's good to go... The lazy and cheap part of my wants to send it in to Kevin because I know he'll do a great job, and I won't have to worry about it or buy the tools. The other part of me wants to do it so I have the experience, and so I can have the tools if needed later.

10. vegas steve

vegas steve Well-Known Member

find out who the maker is of the barrel first,if it's a house barrel i would pass. also,you will need a little more than just a nut wrench and gauges. you will need a good barrel vise or action vise to do it right.

11. emn83

emn83 Well-Known Member

Kevin Uses Benchmark barrels because, in his colorful language, they are better than others (his opinion). I know the tools I need, been planning this for a while, going to make my own action wrench eventually anyway

12. emn83

emn83 Well-Known Member

Made the decision on the Barrel. Talked to Kevin Rayhill at Stockade and set up getting it done when he includes installation in his price, so I figured, for this one, I'll have him do it. It's going to be a 26 inch heavy sporter(.7 at the muzzle) Benchmark Barrel 1:11 twist. also getting an upgraded recoil lug while I'm at it.

13. midnightmalloy

midnightmalloy Well-Known Member

benchmark without a doubt. all mine shoot great