Barrel de-resonator

There is a rather unscientific condemnation of it on www.bellmtcs.com . Other than that I don't know. Does anybody remember seeing a small black ring near the end of the barrel on the Monster Bucks videos on some of the rifles about 5 or 6 years ago? I wonder if this was something similar?

I have used one on a Sako rifle that I built years ago with a Douglas barrel in .223.It seemed to tighten the groups but I haven't done any extensive testing as to find the right sweet spot.The device is somewhat hard to move on the barrel without some sort of lubrication.Good luck if you try to use one.
Old Bear

Hopefully we can get Bart B. to comment. I've read some of Barts comments on other snake oil panaceas that lead me to believe it's bogus. Are the high power winners clamoring for it? Is there any evidence it works?

some shooters in differant circles have been trying differant things to get their guns to shoot better with a given load.
Say your shooting a 168gr SMK out of a 308 and trying to get to 1000yds , the bullets are making it but they are falling into subsonic range before they get their and accuracy is suffering, you have a load that is faster and will keep the bullet supersonic out past 1000yds but its not the most accurate out of your gun so you can "try" to tune the gun to the load. either by cutting down the barrel very little bits at a time trying to find the harmonic sweet spot or you can use some sort of weight ie the barrel de-resonator.( this was strictly an example)
I've heard of rimfire shooters using wads of rubberbands wrapped around their barrel and sliding them up and down to try to find a sweet spot..
Do they work , I'm sure that in some cases they have been proven to have an advantage. are they ugly? YES is their a better way to get accuracy? YES
even if I coulden't get a gun to shoot well by accurizing it and tayloring a load I don't think that I would waste my money for a chunk of rubber to try to fix a problem that needs actual work done to it.

On another note , the Sims products for archery gear work great I have never seena bow that they diden't help so the company doesen't seel all bunk stuff they just ran accross an Idea that they thought would work well and I sure they have made alot of money off of it.

Aren't these similar to the things guys try to get the Mini-14's to shoot better?

Similar to the collets that they put on the barrels and tighten?

At perfectunion.com there's a bunch of discussion of it in that application.

Cinch, I have had one of these sitting around for months ,and after seeing this post I desided to find out if this is VooDoo or Science. A friend of mine owns a Ruger in 300WM that dispite all efforts (new stock, pillar bedding, bbl break in, and much testing with the reloading) this gun shoots 1.25" groups at best . We headed to the range this morning at 6:30 to see if the guizmo works.

First we shot a couple of control groups, Yep 1.25" then we oiled the bbl and slid the device on 1.5"s and shot a group. Low and behold a 5/8" triangle and point of impact had moved 1.5"s right. Next we slid it back another 1.5", the group had the first two close w/ the third 1" left. point of impact was 2 more inches right and an inch higher.We moved the guizmo two more times with similar results. Two almost touching and one off alittle but all were better than before. Next we moved forward to the same spot as the 5/8" group to see if it was a fluke. Result was a nice tiangle 9/16th " group so we left it there and shot the last nine shots at the Gongs at 457yds-565 and 706yds.At 457 it shot at 2"s- 565 was at 2.5"s-706 was 3.75"s. Certainly nothing special for the LRH crowd but this gun had a hard time shooting 7 or 8" groups at 600 before. I suspect that it would mean little on a good shooting gun but on an unruly beast that doesn't shoot what have you got to lose (12 bucks?) FWIW---7mmRHB

I agree that if a rifle does not shoot good, there is a physical reason why which can be corrected. However, there are some guns that are something that you just do not want to put the time and money into. If I can spend $12 and get an average gun to shoot more acceptable, it may be worth it. I just received mine yesterday and I think I will try it.

Hi i have one and they do work.

I placed it on a stock Rem model7 SS in 7mm SAUM with only a lightened trigget. The rifle was a 1" rifle with all loads so i fitted one near the stock and the groups were worse so i mooved it 1/2" from the muzzle and now it shoots 3/8" groups i was amased. now if you have a worn out rifle it will not help anything but with a new quality rifle it will help to reduce groups. I havd helped with a barrel tuner design that we use for long range target shooting by winding it in and out on the thread i can open my groups from 2 1/2" at 300 yards to .320 5 shot groups repeatably. So by changing the dynamics of the barrel with weight and tension the groups can be reduced in size. However in an old worn out barrel full of pitting and no rifling left nothing will help without a rebarrel. By the way the stock was hitting the fore end and this rifle will shoot 40 shots and be red hot then place a 3/8-1/2" group at 100 red hot i dont reccomend this as it wears the barrel faster but it was tried and it is consistant. I havs now bedded the rifle and the deresornat\or is still there as it absorbs vibrations and does help.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.