Barrel Cooling

Hey dwm, Is that a Choate 'Ultimate sniper' Stock on you 7mm? How would you rate it's performance? I'm looking to build a new rifle and am looking for a good platform for a Win 70 or remmy 700 action.

-Ice

Thanks for the temp strip info--is 140 high enough though? I want to use it for 1k br (10 shots)

NECO has ones for 9$ each
shocked.gif
that go up to 186 (i believe)

whaddya think about that?

JB

You should use air to cool down a barrel. In normal Machine Shop Practice it is known that you change the molecules of steel in using cold water. I'm not a rifle barrel builder; but a MACHINIST. What you are doing is shocking and hardining the barrel. Barrel Manufacturers may have a comment also on this matter.

I use ice on my varmint barrels when they get hot and have had no problems. I was shooting in Wyoming last year with a fiend and we both used ice to cool or barrels down he had some rust the next morning on a CM barrel so if you use this method be sure to remove all the water and put rust protection on the metal on your gun.
Crow Mag

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts