Barrel contours?

tomtom

Hey guys,

I posted a few weeks ago regarding advice on actions. I was finally able to track down an older win. model 70 in .300 win mag for a reasonable price and now I'm getting ready to start the process. Next order of business is picking a barrel.

My smith has a preference for Hart barells and from what I can tell they appear to be excellent. I'm going to have a 7wsm built and ultimately I'd like the rifle to weight between 12 and 14lbs with scope. The rifle will be used for pigs and whitetails most likely not exceeding 800 yards and more likely closer to 4-500 yards. This all may seem a bit overbore but I definitely envision some trips to Africa in the future plus, thats the way I like it. My main question is, what contour should I go with to get me in that weight range? Oh and the scope is undecided at this point but I imagine it will be something like the larger Leupolds or Nightforces.

Thanks,
Thomas

tomtom,
I have a Win70 (short action) Heavy Varmint Barrel in .243 Win and it weighs 12.0lbs. This is unloaded, Nikon Monarch UCC 6.5-20X44/w sunshade and leather sling and HS Precision stock with aluminum bedding block.

_MG_2622.jpg

It's the top rifle in this photo. The way my wife (excellent photographer) took the photo makes both barrels look shorter than they really are (to me anyway). Both barrels are 26" long, the Winchester is .876" diameter at the muzzle and the Savage is .820" (it weighs 12.0lbs also). Both are a bit heavy to lug around all day but they're solid performers/shooters. I took two crows with the .243 today at 204 yds. The rest of the gaggle took off! Hope this helps ya....JohnnyK.

Johnnyk,

Thanks for the reply. Those are two good looking rifles. Thats almost exactly the contour I was looking for, or at least the diameter at the muzzle. Mine is a long action and with the two extra inches of barrel it will be a bit heavier but probably still fit within my goals.

You're also right about your picture making the barrels look short. I never would have guessed those things at 26". I guess the perspective of them laying on the logs makes them look short by comparison.

tomtom,
Thanks. Both rifles are stock and I bought them both "used" for $500.00 each. Oh, that .820" diameter on the Savage is the standard "Remington Varmint contour" that alot of the custom barrel companies use. I think Lilja used to list this contour & diameter as such (Remington Varmint contour). It's what used to be on the Rem VS's and Sendero's. Not sure anymore as I haven't visited the Lilja website in awhile and I haven't bought any of the newer Remingtons. JohnnyK.

Hey guys,

I posted a few weeks ago regarding advice on actions. I was finally able to track down an older win. model 70 in .300 win mag for a reasonable price and now I'm getting ready to start the process. Next order of business is picking a barrel.

My smith has a preference for Hart barells and from what I can tell they appear to be excellent. I'm going to have a 7wsm built and ultimately I'd like the rifle to weight between 12 and 14lbs with scope. The rifle will be used for pigs and whitetails most likely not exceeding 800 yards and more likely closer to 4-500 yards. This all may seem a bit overbore but I definitely envision some trips to Africa in the future plus, thats the way I like it. My main question is, what contour should I go with to get me in that weight range? Oh and the scope is undecided at this point but I imagine it will be something like the larger Leupolds or Nightforces.

Thanks,
Thomas

I have a 7 WSM on a short action rem with a laminiated stock and a #6 contor lilja that weights
a little over 10 lbs fully dressed.

My 7/08 in The Lilja hunter bench rest taper weights 12.5 lbs so somewhere in that range
should work.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.