Barrel contours HELP ASAP

ramrod79

Guys not sure if someone can help or not but here it is. I have a rem Model 7 XCR 300WSM everything has been done to it except barrel ,now i want to rebarrel and all I can find for info on factory barrel is it is a Mag contour . I am putting A Mc Gowen 23" on it and I am not sure If the factory is a #4 or #3, I think it is a #4 . Also do I need to go with the same heavy barrel as whats on now or could I go down a size liketo a #3

Thanks for any and all help need to find out ASAP so I can get my barrel order in.

Thanks

Welcome to Shilen Rifles, Inc.
Contouring

That link should have what your looking for, magnum being the #19 right there.

you can go the same as whats on it now, if the barrel channel is larger than the barrel that is on it now, you can get a bigger barrel, the same contour... if you want a smaller one, of course you will have that added gap between barrel and stock in your barrel channel...

looking at the mggowen sight... they can countour barrels to that factory magnum contour.

if you do want a larger barrel, and need to open the barrel channel up on your stock, a wooden dowel with sandpaper wrapped around it works great and ultra cheap to open up the channel a bit, as long as your keeping it straight it will stay nice and even.

hope this helps

Guys not sure if someone can help or not but here it is. I have a rem Model 7 XCR 300WSM everything has been done to it except barrel ,now i want to rebarrel and all I can find for info on factory barrel is it is a Mag contour . I am putting A Mc Gowen 23" on it and I am not sure If the factory is a #4 or #3, I think it is a #4 . Also do I need to go with the same heavy barrel as whats on now or could I go down a size liketo a #3

Thanks for any and all help need to find out ASAP so I can get my barrel order in.

Thanks

Individual makers contours vary from one another to a certain degree. The best advice is ti go to the website of the maker of the barrel you have selected, and click on the contours section. It will give you dimensions by a alphabetical chart. Then just compare them to what you have, or what you want. I agree however with your assumption that it is probably a 3 or 4 contour. Probably more like a 4 . Good luck and enjoy the ride, it's fun, and educational!!!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.