Barrel Contour

head2h2o

How does the Hart #4 barrel contour compare to the Remington Varmint contour or the Sendero coutour? I need a barrel contour to use for a 300 WM that will be used in the field. I don't want a sporter and I don't want a target barrel. I need something in between. I would prefer a Krieger, if I just knew what the heck to tell them the needed contour was and since they do the 5R rifling now. I want it to be at least 26", but can't seem to find if a longer barrel would be more beneficial for reaching game out to 800 yds. this will end up with a brake on it.

I think a 4 contour would be lighter than a sendero. It's probably closer to a 6. Lilja and probably other barrelmakers usually duplicate some factory barrels....

One barrel maker you didn't mention but is worth taking a look at is Broughton. At least to compare their contours. I bought one of their barrels in a 4.1 contour for a 300 WM carry gun. When I explained to Tim North what I was looking for, he pointed me in this direction. It is heavier than a sporter weight but not too heavy for packing around all day.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.