Barrel contour

Brambles

OK here's the problem, I like light guns but I also want a 300 RUM Long range rig for hunting. This unit will be backpacked into selected spots where longer shots are the only option, or animal patters wouldn't allow the time to stalk in closer. I want the rifle to be capable of 800 yard shots but in reality a 550 - 600 yard shot would be the most I'd entertain at this point in time.

I would like to keep the barrel contour as light as possible but a 26" #1 contour barrel might be a little whippy.

I have a #1 23.125" barrel on my 280AI and it shoots like a hot **** but the purpose of that rifle is different than this one.

What do you guys think about barrel contour and repeatable consistant accuracy.

What would you recommend as the absolute minimum barrel contour for a 300 RUM

What is it that your hunting thats requires more than a 280Ai?

Barrel conture doesn't have a whole lot to do with first round accuracy , a very thin barrel will heat up alot faster and that may cause some accuracy issues?

If it were me I'd trim weight from all the other places I could before I started cutting the barrel down.

Tally one piece ring/bases , High Tech Specialties stock , ADL configuration , lightened action , all combined with a 26" #3 conture should give you a gun in the 6.5-7lb range

What is it that your hunting thats requires more than a 280Ai?

Barrel conture doesn't have a whole lot to do with first round accuracy , a very thin barrel will heat up alot faster and that may cause some accuracy issues?

If it were me I'd trim weight from all the other places I could before I started cutting the barrel down.

Tally one piece ring/bases , High Tech Specialties stock , ADL configuration , lightened action , all combined with a 26" #3 conture should give you a gun in the 6.5-7lb range

Yeah that is all the same stuff I did to my Remmy Titanium 280AI, its a light gun but I don't have it tuned up for long range, more of a meduim range rifle for backpacking. Sure I could tune it up for longer distances but thats not what I built it for. I got lots of guns so one more ain't going to hurt.

I've had a couple 300 RUM's before and would like another. I see all these longrange rigs with heavy barrels and big tactical stocks and it makes me wonder WHY, there has to be a good reason for all the bulk or guys wouldn't bother, is it strictly for steadying the rifle or???

I still might build a slimmed down 300 RUM for packing but I need to find out WHY all these long range guns are beefy.

I had a Sendero SF in 300 ultra mag and packed it a fair bit but I think I still want something a little lighter.

Plus that #3 barrel you mentioned is a lot lighter than the barrel most of these guys are installing on their guns, I am actually considering a #3 fluted barrel.

I had a Sendero SF in 300 ultra mag and packed it a fair bit but I think I still want something a little lighter.

Plus that #3 barrel you mentioned is a lot lighter than the barrel most of these guys are installing on their guns, I am actually considering a #3 fluted barrel.

I don't know that anyone will flute a #3 contour barrel. Better check it out. The heavy barrels are used to help stabilize the rifle while touching off the shot, and the longer 28-30" barrels being used require a little more barrel diameter/stiffness than the 22-24" barrels require. As mentioned, the thinner tubes will heat up and disperse the groups faster than the heavier barrels - like after the 3rd shot. The heaviest rifle I have weighs about 9 1/2 lbs without scope, and that's about as heavy as I'm willing to pack by the time I add the scope, sling and ammo. Lot's of guys are using 13-15 lb setups.

Mostly I think it's easier to pilot a heavier gun with a tripod or solid rest for the long range shots, compared to a lightweight rifle. But my lighter ones (6.5 lbs without scope) work well out to a good 800 - 900 yds with a decent rest.

I have a lilja number 5 contour barrel on my rifle, actually I've shot groups with it and had the barrel so hot you wouldnt want to keep your hand there. I didnt see it change POI nor did the accuracy decrease.

I believe #4 is the lightest most barrel makes will flute.

Theoretically a shorter barrel should be stiffer and hence more accurate, apparently...

I don't know that anyone will flute a #3 contour barrel. Better check it out.

I've got a barrel manufacturer who will flute a #1 if I want, they say the flutes won't be very deep but they can flute it.

Similarily the weatherby ultralite has a .547 muzzle diameter and its fluted in std calibers and a .582 diameter fluted in Magnum calibers.

H-S precision also make light contour fluted barrels, they use them on their PHL rifles and sell them outright too. A few other companies will too.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.