Barrel contour for 6.5-284 hunting rifle

garsticker

I have to mail my deposit off and am having second thoughts on my contour..I was going to get a #7 but have been considering a lighter contour. I was wondering what most of you had in contour.

Their are a lot of factors that go into deciding a conture , like how many rounds you plan to fire in a row becasue a lighter barrel will heatup faster and start to shot point of impact changes
How heavy of a gun can you stand , if this gun is going to be carried for a long way then you may want to choose a lighter barrel to help with packing it.
Is the gun going to be shot off hand , if so you want a barrel thats going to help ballance out the gun so its not to muzzel heavy.
Generaly I like a heavy barrel even for shooting off hand but I'm a little stonger than the average guy so it doesen't bother me that much but no matter how strong you are a realy muzzel heavy gun will not "swing" well..

Whats the gun going to be used for , for the most part a Rem Varmint conture will hold pretty good groups with non magnum cals for 5-10 rounds before it start to get hot and move.
For a deer rifle that generaly doesn't see more than 3 shots in a row I'd say a #3 or #4 conture would be good.

A good barrel maker can make a barrel that will shoot very accuratly with a very thin barrel , I had a 300 Wby with a #1 conture that shot awsome 3 shot groups if you could space the shots a min or so apart.

Well it will be for hunting deer and varmints. My idea was that since our club is about to have some acreage logged out that I'd build a long range gun so I could take advantage of the open spaces. So I thought the heavy barrel would be the way to go since I would not be doing any stalking..I have a Kimber Classic for that. 99.99% of the time I'll be in a tripod or stand so weight really wouldn't be a negative. I was just interested what the rest of the community thought. My brother and I were talking and he suggested a lighter rifle contour and it got me to second guessing myself and I was needing some input, but I think I may have answered my own question.

I like a medium Palma conture for my carry and mid weight rifles , its a good trade off in wight and stiffness.

I´ve gone with a Lilja nº 5.-rifle on an a3 stock weighs a bit under 9 lbs.(unscoped).

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.