Barrel Breakin with Moly Powder (not bullets)

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by OregonElkSlayer, Sep 8, 2008.

1. OregonElkSlayer

OregonElkSlayer Member

I read an interesting article that advocated the use of Moly powder (not moly coated bullets) during the barrel breakin process as a way to reduce metal to metal contact. Does this seem like a good alternative to the old wisdom of shoot and clean, shoot and clean?

The article can been found by searching google for "barrel break in process"

2. Stormrider

Stormrider Well-Known Member

Just to see, I googled "barrel break in process" and got 260,000 entries. I not going to look that hard.

3. EddieHarren

EddieHarren Well-Known Member

Afew BR shooters, that I shoot with, have been mixing Moly in with their powder for years. I don't recall that it was for "breaking in", specifically, but they claimed that it lowered the burn temp of the powder and kept theoat erosion to a minimum. I have my doubts.

4. msalm

msalm Well-Known Member

5. AJ Peacock

AJ Peacock Well-Known Member

I thought this is why we put a light coating of oil after cleaning? Kirby told me not to shoot a 'dry' barrel, that a very light oil coating or fouling from the previous shot was necessary to protect the barrel.

AJ

6. Black Diamond 408

Black Diamond 408 Well-Known Member

I use this method quite often. I have even used it on a barrel that wasnt shooting up to expectations and lowered the group size quite a bit. I use the Sentry Solutions kit. Mike Rock vouged for this system.