Barr & Stroud Rangefinder

goatsniper

I recently purchased a Barr & Stroud rangefinder for super long-range shooting. Out here in the flatland, even a Swarovski will only pick up an antelope or deer a litte over 1100 or 1200 yds if we're lucky. We're wanting to shoot our 338 edges atleast 1300 plus. Anyway, I've figured out how it works but have not been out to really put it to the test yet. I was just wondering if anyone has used one before and what they thought about it. How accurate are they really? Any tips you might have for using one? Thanks for any feedback.

Goatsniper

Sorry can't give you any user tips but note from looking at the site for Lilja barrels that they show them in regular use.

You could try dropping them a line c/o (www.riflebarrels.com) the pictures of the use of them are under the sub heading Articles and in particular the Long Range shooting feature by Daniel Lilja.

Certainly worth a try

eamail me with your address and I will send you set of instructions for the BS. Maybe soon, I will get a scanner working and download them. Anyway, out of town for next week, so it might be another week to get them out.

got a great set of Bigeyes to go with the rangefinder for sale down below.

BH

Thanks for the help. I have the set of instructions you sent in the mail and have figured out how everything works. I was just curious to know if anybody else out there in the long range world has used one and what their thoughts were on them. I still haven't had a chance to take it out yet but when I do, I'll be verifying it with a swarovski rangefinder to see how accurate it is. Also, I noticed a adjustment knob on the B&S so it can be tunned if it's not quite on. So whenever I do make it out, I'll be sure and let you know how accurate it is.

Is this a rangefinder similar to the Wild optical rangefinder??? If so I might have some info on how to work it. Honestly though if it is a optical rangefinder than GG and Kirby might be better at giving you advice

steve

I have a Wild , I'm assuming they are the same.

How accurate are they really?
Dead nuts. But it gets tougher the farther you go out. (less resolution of the hash marks) Still I trust it more than any laser past 1K or through brush and trees. I have verifed mine out to 1350 using rangefinder and surveyors prism.

Any tips you might have for using one?
Have the most precise person with you do the ranging. If he has ever said "That's close enough", he ain't the guy.

Adjust the edge of the inverted image to exactly touch/mirror/dissect the straight up image.
I close the eye displaying the range and then align the smallest item that you can clearly see at the range. Pick a odd color leaf, Woodchuck head (my favorite), small flower, deer leg etc, rather than a big tree or something that seems easy. When I got it right I open my other eye and go click it in.

Range from farther than target and then from closer than target. If you get different readings always adjust from one way consistently to eliminate backlash error. Oddly I haven't noticed any with mine.

Shummy

I calibrated my wild to my laser range finder @ 300 mtrs.

It holds within 2-5 mtrs at all ranges the lrf1200 can manage (900 mtrs with my wobbly aiming).

It is still good at 1650mtrs if goggle earth is to be trusted?
That was a reading to the furthest house I can see from my garden and using the measuring feature on the goggle program.

From a field on the farm I ranged a TV mast @ 13600mtrs goggle says it is @ 11600mtrs! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Unfortunately haven't yet done anything in between

I have read about others on here using them at the 2000mtr mark with good success

sportsman guide at www.sportsmanguide.com just got a shipment of the BS rangefinders from England. They are in "brand new, never been issued condition" They are $299 Buyers club price and $349.95 (costs $25 to join the buyers club) Item # JX6K-101355

That is as good a deal as you will ever see on them. If you want one, better jump on them. First time I have ever seen unissued ones for sale.

BH

these things are around 3 ft long. how much do they actually weigh and are these calibrated in metric or english. i know it's been posted before but i get the wild and the B and S mixed up.i would assume the units being sold in sportsmans guide are made for the english, maybe they're English, or is that being a bit too logical?

I know this is an old post. If anyone wants questions on these optical rangefinders let me know. I work them at up to 2000 regularly.

On the other hand, if anyone know someone that has done repair on one, I have what should be a fairly simple need and cannot find anyone still alive that works on them.

I know this is an old post. If anyone wants questions on these optical rangefinders let me know. I work them at up to 2000 regularly.

On the other hand, if anyone know someone that has done repair on one, I have what should be a fairly simple need and cannot find anyone still alive that works on them.

Holy resurrected thread Batman! I used to use one way back in the day. Like pre laser days. Kinda cool to see this old stuff.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.